1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 29, 2016 3:31 PM by Vaughan

PDF Signing And Sizing - There Must Be A Better Way

SteveFransen

Greetings,

Patients need to sign an informed consent document to participate in a research study. The document is a PDF file, five pages long, and rarely, if ever, changes.

I insert each of the five pages into a long layout as separate PDF images, one below the other. A container field stores the patient's signature over the signature line that is present on the last image. After the patient signs, a PDF of the record is printed to a file ("TestPrintPDF.pdf") so the signature is "embedded" in that new PDF file. Then the "signed" new PDF file is inserted into an interactive container on a second layout.

Here's that part of the script:

Untitled.tiff

All of this works but I have to adjust the scale (to 77%) in the Print Setup step and carefully align each of the five separate PDF images on the first layout so their size just fills each page in the new PDF file, and page breaks occur at the right places.

I suspect there's a better way to do this and appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Steve

• 1. Re: PDF Signing And Sizing - There Must Be A Better Way
          Vaughan

Try setting the layout with the pdf to have zero print margins, this may make it more stable and independent of printer driver differences.

I think the most reliable way is to re-create the pdf document on the layout with text blocks, rather than pdf images. There is a chance there could be rendering differences between versions and operating systems, but they should be minor. It could also be possible to hold the document text in a field if it needs to be changed  regularly (though you said it did not).