3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2016 12:21 PM by siplus

using selected portal records in another portal

kwzellers

I don't have a lot of knowledge about Filemaker just some basic functions and scripts.  I work on a vegetable farm and made a database to keep track of each sowing we plant.  Each sowing has a portal with anywhere from 1 - 5 crops planted and details (ex.- field, beds, acres...).  I now need to build onto this database to keep track of anything we spray on the crops that we have planted.  I need to be able to make selections by individual crops as all the crops in a sowing are not always sprayed with the same thing.  Also, a spray record often includes more than just one sowing, therefore I need to be able to choose crops from multiple sowings. 

My idea is to somehow sort the list of crops (portal records) by field # and make check box selections from there and have that populate a new portal on my "Spray List" table.  I need it to import/copy multiple fields (ex. - sowing #, crop, variety, field, acres...).  I would also need the check boxes cleared and ready to use to create my next "Spray List" record and some crops may be sprayed more than once.  It would also be helpful to sort the list to make selections by date, and/or have a harvested check box, because we will have 2 - 3 rotations of crops in the same season.

Any help or new ideas are greatly appreciated!  Thank you!

Chris

• 1. Re: using selected portal records in another portal
          siplus

I see a SprayStuff table, with ID, name, effects etc and a CropSpray table, with ID, FK_Crop, FK_SprayStuff, SprayDate and SprayQuantity. Do you ?

• 2. Re: using selected portal records in another portal
            kwzellers

I could set it up like this, but I want it to be connected with my Sowings table so when I run my sowing report I can see everything that was sprayed on that sowing/crop.  I also want to select the crops from a list of crops that are planted in that particular field I will be spraying, so as not to enter a crop to spray that is not even planted in that field. 

• 3. Re: using selected portal records in another portal
              siplus

kwzellers wrote:

I could set it up like this, but I want it to be connected with my Sowings table so when I run my sowing report I can see everything that was sprayed on that sowing/crop.

which implies a search in the CropSpray table with FK_Crop = yourchoice

I also want to select the crops from a list of crops that are planted in that particular field I will be spraying, so as not to enter a crop to spray that is not even planted in that field. 

which implies that you already are positioned on a field record, showing a portal with only the crops linked to it.