12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2016 6:39 AM by mark_baum

Cannot edit posts.

bigtom

When trying to edit a post I am seeing "No Actions are available". If I navigate manually to "https://community.filemaker.com/update-advanced-comment.jspa?id=xxxxxxx" I can edit just fine.

• 1. Re: Cannot edit posts.
          bigtom

Navigating to the edit page gets me to the edit page, but when saving the edit I am confronted with an error that the post cannot be save and to contact the administrator.

• 2. Re: Cannot edit posts.
            mark_baum

I'm sorry to hear that... What exactly are you trying to edit? If you give me the URL for the specific content, that will help me determine if it's a permissions issue.

Thanks!

Mark

• 3. Re: Cannot edit posts.
              mark_baum

Now that I've read through the following thread:

Re: What makes a strong developer community?

I see that you tried to edit your original response there.

I just opened it up your response and edited it successfully (just changed a character as a test). So my guess is that this is a permissions issue.

I also performed an admin action that should refresh your permissions.

Could you try again and let me know if that fixed anything?

If not, try using a different browser and let me know if that helps.

Thanks!

Mark

• 4. Re: Cannot edit posts.
                bigtom

No change.  Tried Firefox, Safari, and Chrome on OSX. Attempted to edit the same post you referenced.

• 5. Re: Cannot edit posts.
                  mark_baum

Hmm... sounds like I need to report this to Jive support. I assume that you've been able to edit posts and suddenly have lost the ability to do so -- correct?

• 6. Re: Cannot edit posts.
                    CarstenLevin

Dear Mark,

Good that you are looking into it. For the last weeks I have not been able to edit posts after posting, before I could do it for the next X minutes after posting.

And not being native English spoken I often find that I am making terrible grammatical or spelling errors and I do at least need to be able to improve on those few errors that I am able to recognise

Best regards

Carsten

• 7. Re: Cannot edit posts.
                      CarstenLevin

Hi Mark,

Tried to edit, and only got the spinning symbol ... please see the attached video. Also putting a screendump in.

netbeingabletoedit.png

Best regards

Carsten

• 8. Re: Cannot edit posts.
                        bigtom

X minutes after posting?

I can edit the very last post I have made, but anything previous, regardless of time is off limits now. Editing of all posts at any time should be allowed. At least that is the way it works everywhere else that I have seen.

• 9. Re: Cannot edit posts.
                          CarstenLevin

Hi Bigtom,

You may be right, that it is only the latest post you can edit. I thought that it was a time-limit.

But anyhow since some weeks ago I have not been able to edit posts after submitting them. And when having English as your "last" language it is really nice to be able to go in and edit your worst mistakes and make sure that your post is understandable.

But the point is that previously I could edit after submitting, not it is not possible and the menu will just show the spinning bar.

Best regards

Carsten

• 10. Re: Cannot edit posts.
                            bigtom

mark_baum wrote:

Hmm... sounds like I need to report this to Jive support. I assume that you've been able to edit posts and suddenly have lost the ability to do so -- correct?

That is correct. I can now only edit my very last post.

• 11. Re: Cannot edit posts.
                              CarstenLevin

And so can I now, edit after committing, really a tremendous help for one who like me are having English as my third and not first or second language: - Danish, Norwegian and Swedish must be my first's

... and yes, this is an edit:-)

• 12. Re: Cannot edit posts.
                                mark_baum

I think this is the javascript-related issue that has been coming up more frequently this week.

If this happens for you again, at least I know the workaround:  "regenerate" Jive's javascript. It takes just a few minutes -- so give me a heads-up here in the Feedback area and I'll take care of it.

Thanks!

Mark