1 2 3 Previous Next 31 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2017 1:56 PM by schamblee

FIAS and App store update strategies?

bigtom

What is everyone doing for updating stand-alone FIAS apps and retaining local user data on the device only, no FMS connection?

I know the changes can be managed internally in the app with an auto or manual update, but what about updates through iTunes? All data will be lost once the update is pushed through. Records can be exported but the device will not know to do that on its own before update. Is the only solution managing updates within the app solution? Maybe the app store is only good for solutions that are informational and do not actually store user data.

I have not tried MDM yet but it seems it may have a similar issue.

• 1. Re: FIAS and App store update strategies?
          yzysoft_gg

Hi bigtom!

I wrote a post about how to update the iOS app created with FIAS. You can check it here:

How to update native iOS App created with FileMaker iOS App SDK? - YZY SOFT

App created with FIAS behaves very strange sometimes, but I guess it's more like having a habbit to use FM Go. Anyway, the update works fine for me. I still do different tests about it and will update the post very soon.

• 2. Re: FIAS and App store update strategies?
            amallo

Another option is not to have the user data tied to the launcher file.

Two ways this could be done is:

1. Launcher file is just a startup file.

On the initial running of the launcher file get it to check if your UI & any data files are already in the Documents folder. If they are then go to them. If they are not then install them and then go to them. To install them you could export them from a container in your launcher file.

2. Launcher file is also the primary UI file.

Your launcher file could be your UI file that checks to see if the data file (data separated model) is in the Documents folder. Like above if it is not it exports it from a container in the launcher file.

For both these example you could give the user an option to back up the data file to a container filed on a FMServer or POST it to a file server. Then obviously you would need an option to restore the backup.

The UI file in the Documents folder can also check to see if the Launcher file has a newer version of itself (that would have come down in App Store or MDM update). It can then ask if the user would like to do an update.

Instead of storing the new file in a container of the launcher file you could have it stored on a remote server and ask to fetch it via the Insert from URL command.

• 3. Re: FIAS and App store update strategies?
              bigtom

@Giedrius I think you are not understanding my dilemma.

Your examples cover two scenarios. Have you tested #1 in the App Store? From what I see all data will be lost.

I have a free app in the store now and I guess I will have to see how it behaves with an up date. I just don't want all the people who already have it to get angry when the data is gone.

FYI, I do have a FIAS app that was recently approved and is selling for $2.99. People are buying it.

• 4. Re: FIAS and App store update strategies?
                bigtom

@amallo My concern is about new versions that are submitted through iTunes connect for apps that never connect to an external source but have user stored data in the device.

The whole thing of having an auto update or update button in the app is not what people are used to. It is also not in the spirit of AppStore to be able to make entire UI and function changes without submitting the new app version for review again. This is exactly what FIAS does allow you to do though. It is great while it works, but you might not want to expect it to last forever.

• 5. Re: FIAS and App store update strategies?
                  schamblee

I created an update process based on the one from yzy soft. How to update native iOS App created with FileMaker iOS App SDK? - YZY SOFT

The update is automatic, you click a button for the data to be imported from the old version to the new version, but that can be scripted to be automatic.  You set the version number in xcode, so the new version will automatically install and run, which has no data. It's easy to determine the database is empty then all you have to do is determine if there is a prior version on the device (covered on website) and then import.   I post a message with a button so the user can be prepare for the import of the data, if it is a large database it might take some time and you wouldn't want your user turning their device off before it got finished.  I like the button because it grabs their attention that something is different.  The button is hidden if a import of a prior version is not required.

I have only tested with xcode and my device and the update works.   It took me about a week going through the sample to figure it out and to change thing to the way I prefer.     

Thank you YZY software for providing the information.

• 6. Re: FIAS and App store update strategies?
                    yzysoft_gg

bigtom, the post of mine is exactly what you are looking for. It refers to the technique which import data from old file to the new one after you deliver as a new version of the iOS app.

If you use file versioning as suggest FileMaker, so after you deliver new update of your iOS app it's stores the second file in the Documents folder within the app. That means you do have 2 files in the Documents folder and rest what you have to do is take data from old fmp12 file to the new one.

BTW I created a topic as a showcase of the iOS Apps created with FIAS. This might be a good inspiration for others to create iOS apps. Please add your apps here as well: iOS Apps on the Apple App Store (created with FileMaker iOS App SDK)

Cheers!

• 7. Re: FIAS and App store update strategies?
                      yzysoft_gg

Thank you schamblee for the good word. I am glad that it could help...

• 8. Re: FIAS and App store update strategies?
                        amallo

I don't have one in the App Store based on #1 but I have 2 on #2 and I can't see why #1 wouldn't work.

• 9. Re: FIAS and App store update strategies?
                          schamblee

iTunes will automatically download the update, but it will not run until the database is closed.  Double tap home does not close the database.  If you issue a close file or exit application FIAS will restart and when it restarts it loads the newest database which is empty.  In my design I use on layout enter to detect second file in document folder then displays a button to restart because update detected then it automatically imports the data when the new version starts.  Really the only reason for the button is so it closes the database.  If when you double tap home it actually closed the database then you wouldn't need the button. 

• 10. Re: FIAS and App store update strategies?
                            bigtom

schamblee wrote:

I created an update process based on the one from yzy soft. How to update native iOS App created with FileMaker iOS App SDK? - YZY SOFT

The update is automatic, you click a button for the data to be imported from the old version to the new version, but that can be scripted to be automatic. 

If you need a button or a script it is not automatic until you make it so. That is to say, it is not an automatic function of the native iOS update process.

Is it wise to script exporting the data every time the app is closed?

• 11. Re: FIAS and App store update strategies?
                              bigtom

I am a little upset with Jive. I spent some time on a productive post with some bullet points and Jive decided to send it to heaven when I clicked Add Reply. I like everything about this community except for Jive. I will have to do it again.

• 12. Re: FIAS and App store update strategies?
                                schamblee

I don't export anytime.  If a new version is available it automatically downloads and is installed in the document directory.  When the app closes the new app starts then I import the data into the new app from the old app.  A button is only required to close the database.   If the database is not closed it will reload where you left off.  If you close the database then it will open the new database. 

• 13. Re: FIAS and App store update strategies?
                                  bigtom

I think there is some issue here using the words file, database, and app interchangeably.

I am still working on the points as I understand them but I have also just sent an update to iTunes to see how it actually works. I appreciate the time you are taking to explain this but it is still very unclear.

• 14. Re: FIAS and App store update strategies?
                                    bigtom

I think I am understanding what you are saying and it does not seem very clear.

I am only concerned with the process of sending an update to iTunes and then the user updating through AppStore. No use of button in the app and no automatic update from within the App without using Update in the AppStore application first.

I want to clear up the the word "App" as I am using means the complete app on the device and "Data File" will denote the fmp12 file that holds the data on the device.

If you simply send an App update through iTunes, the Data File will be overwritten with the one in the App update and all data will be lost.

The process as I understand it from your explanation:

1. Upload a new App build to iTunes and the Update will show in the Updates panel of the AppStore on the device.
                                    2. User taps Update in AppStore to download the new version.
                                    3. The old App version is still stored on the device because it is open.
                                    4. The new App version has a script that looks for the existence of the old App version
                                    5. The new App finds the Data File in the documents folder from the previous App and imports all the data.
                                    6. Sometime in this process the old App disappears from the device.

Some of these things do not make sense.

When does the original App get deleted? Isn't it replaced with the new bundle on download?

How did the Data File get in the documents folder?

What happens if the App was swiped up before update?

Last I checked, double tapping the home button does not close anything in iOS.

1 2 3 Previous Next