5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2016 11:10 AM by eric

Why can't I find FileMaker on any college courses and no student discounts on s/w?

RichardSmall

@My local community college offers dozens of Microsoft courses as well as many others. Filemaker? Nada. I checked the pricing options at FM and there is nothing for a student. I think FM is making a real mistake not to market through the educational side. Considering how Apple grew because of their partnering with the educational community, you'd think they would already have this figured out. Here is a link to what my local CC offers. Course Catalog - ed2go Online Courses - Online Adult and Continuing Education

• 1. Re: Why can't I find FileMaker on any college courses and no student discounts on s/w?
          Stephen Huston

FMI offers some discounts for nonprofits and educational use, but you have to really search their website for it. I picked up nonprofit copies a few years back for a client at roughly 50% of retail directly from FMI.

Class offerings depend on available capable teachers and perceived demand. I've taught FM through commercial training but have never seen it through local city college evening courses, where there might be some demand.

• 2. Re: Why can't I find FileMaker on any college courses and no student discounts on s/w?
            sreese

I believe there is FileMaker a lot of training on FileMaker Pro Tutorials | Lynda.com

There is also some really good training on FileMaker's website and some other training websites.

The FIlemaker EDU discount is available here:

https://store.filemaker.com/US/ENG/EDU/entry/form/

• 3. Re: Why can't I find FileMaker on any college courses and no student discounts on s/w?
              coherentkris

Write up a course proposal and submit it to the college.

Bet you dont get enough enrolls to run the course.. ever

• 4. Re: Why can't I find FileMaker on any college courses and no student discounts on s/w?
                eric

You answered your own question.

Yes, it is a shame because FileMaker Pro is without a doubt the best entry-level, learning database platform educators could hope for. And it 's cross-platform! (except for Android)

Jumping through a lot of hoops to become certified in-house developer and authorized trainer at a university, I had similar frustrations, because even though we could offer training cheap, with the uninitiated it couldn't really compete with Microsoft Access or Oracle. Our faculty and staff were getting Microsoft Access bundled with Office for $9.75. (And since everyone feels obliged to use the rest of MS Office anyway, Access is essentially free to them.) In fact, students taking classes that require MS Access were getting it for free! Oracle has similar licensing availability on campus for departments and in the classroom. The vast majority of these users and their instructors and managers will never be convinced to pay over $50 for something they think they already have for free from companies who appear to be more committed to education.

I understand FMI's concern with giving away software for free, because even if it costs them little to supply higher ed with licenses, they could still end up bearing the burden of initial support costs. So I have a few suggestions that would allow propagation of FileMaker Pro in higher education, increase FMI revenue, and deflect potential support burdens. I would call it the FileMaker Higher Education Alliance (FHEA), an "FBA" for colleges and universities, where campuses fulfill what they do well vs. a typical FileMaker business. If FMI started out making FHEA requirements high, they could experiment with a few institutions and then, if it works well, lower the requirements to add more institutions. Example requirements:

1. At least one full-time employee who is a TechNet developer subscriber.
                2. Make sure a campus can support FileMaker in-house by requiring certification (perhaps multiple versions).
                3. Commitment to deliver training (perhaps FTS) to at least 10 faculty, staff, and/or students per year.
                4. Expect members of the campus to support an active and local user group.
                5. Maintain a campus website and discussion list in support of in-house development.
                6. Minimum number of licenses already under volume maintenance (e.g. 160). (Shows existing in-house commitment to platform.)

Example benefits:

1. Enrolled students get free (or cheap) annual licenses (of 5-month licenses at least for a semester). Perhaps this number would be limited.
                2. Faculty get free (or cheap) annual licenses (perhaps only if used in curriculum).
                3. Additional licenses above and beyond minimum requirement could be added at a discount much deeper than their existing education discount (which apparently isn't enough to attract educators).

FMI would want to evaluate requirements and benefits to make sure they don't lose revenue.

The strategies would be these:

1. Considering that a really strong in-house developer is the only thing standing in the way of central IT extinguishing lesser know platforms, FMI should be promoting the value of at least one certified developer per campus.
                2. Both the requirements and the benefits would prevent obscurity and promote growth of the platform at the institution and in the local community.
                3. The lower costs to students and faculty would make FileMaker Pro competitive against other more established and more aggressive platforms.

• 5. Re: Why can't I find FileMaker on any college courses and no student discounts on s/w?
                  eric

It's not that FileMaker doesn't offer discounts to education;

it's just that they can't compete with database platforms more aggressively discounted and marketed to education.