4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2016 5:19 AM by StevieP

Display a permanent field for all users?

StevieP

I'd like a simple way to make it possible to see a single field that every user can see no matter what record is loaded.

Basically, we'd like a "board" on the side which display remarks that everyone has to be able to see.

Originally I did this by making a global record and displaying that but the moment someone is editing a record or doesn't commit a record, no-one else can change the remarks in the permanent field - we get a warning.

I tried making a new table with a single (global) record containing the remark but I couldn't get it to work either.

So basically, is there a way to do this without getting the message that someone is modifying the record?

• 1. Re: Display a permanent field for all users?
          siplus

Single table, single record, one normal - not global - field, a script with a script parameter that sets its value to scriptparameter and commits the record. Run script with admin privileges, all other privileges have read only access to the field.

• 2. Re: Display a permanent field for all users?
            StevieP

I'm not quite sure I get what you mean.

You mean a new table with a single record and field - I get that so far. But what do you mean with "sets its value to scriptparameter and commits the record"? I get what you mean with the rest (basically prevent anyone else from locking the record I believe by restricting privileges) but I'm not sure how you'd go about displaying the single record of a separate table on any other layout?

• 3. Re: Display a permanent field for all users?
              siplus

Script SetUniversalValue [content]

go to layout "UniversalValue"

set Field [Universal; get(ScriptParameter)]

commit records/requests

go to layout [original layout]

you call it from another script, for example a script that displays a dialog box, gets user input in a global then calls the above script with the global's value as parameter.

for displaying the value on any layout, use a cartesian relationship to the UniversalValue TO.

---

if it's not obvious, I can build a demo.

• 4. Re: Display a permanent field for all users?
                StevieP

The very important thing I didn't know about in your post, is the cartesian relationship - I was unaware that Filemaker let you do that. I changed the relationship between the tables and this automatically fixed my issue without needing any scripts - thanks for your help!