1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2016 7:12 AM by wimdecorte

FM14 is getting slow and unstable

keysolutions

It almost looks as if with every update FileMaker 14 gets slower and more unstable as the one before.

Since I update to v5 I’m getting more and more crashes even on simple actions as switching to layout mode.

It’s becoming so obvious that I can almost predict it’s crashing when I see the waiting wheel on my Mac (Yosemite 10.10.5).

Although I keep backups, I don’t make one every 5 minutes.

Checking consistency on a 8 GB file is no fun to wait for...

• 1. Re: FM14 is getting slow and unstable
          alquimby

On a MacBook Pro with El Capitan, I have experienced no problem whatsoever with FileMaker Advanced 14 or any of its updates.

Al Quimby

• 2. Re: FM14 is getting slow and unstable
            wimdecorte

keysolutions wrote:

Although I keep backups, I don’t make one every 5 minutes.

Not going back to a backup may contribute to the instability of the file though...

To protect yourself: put the file on a FMS so that when the client crashes, it does not take the file down with it.

• 3. Re: FM14 is getting slow and unstable

Agree with Allen.

FMP 14 is as fast if not faster in El Capitan as any version I've used.

FM may not really officially support Yosemite in 14, or test against it, any more, as I understand it, so bugs that could occur there may not be patched (or considered).

Why not upgrade to El Capitan or possibly revert to an older version of FMP that worked on Yosemite?

I've found that FM does not support products across OS versions (or even FMP versions) like, say, MS or Apple does. That was a rude awakening for me.

To wit, once a new version of FMP comes out, you're on your own with the now instantly obsolete version. My understanding is that an older version is no longer supported at that instant a new version comes out (hope I'm mistaken, but that seems to be the case from my experience). This exact use-case isn't what you're describing, but it speaks to using the current OS and the current FMP version to expect results you can still get help with.

If you need to stick with Yosemite for some reason, I'd send FileMaker a tech support request (a problem report) and see what they say. If you do that, please update your post here for everyone, OK?

Good luck.

- m

• 4. Re: FM14 is getting slow and unstable
                BruceHerbach

I was having similar issues with 14.0.4 You may want to check the hardware and software on your computer.  In trouble shooting my issues with 14.0.4 I took my MacBook pro into the Apple store.  It showed a couple of minor issues with the screen and bluetooth.  The sent it to apple for diagnostics and repair.  It came back with a new mother board, screen,  CPU Heat Sink and bluetooth.   In my case the MacBook Pro is over 3 years old,  so they charged me $300 to repair everything with a 90 day warranty.  Anything else breaks in 90 days then they will fix it no extra charge.

So my guess is the real issue was the heat sink.  I would have the problem after several hours of work.  FM 14.0.5 came out just as I got the computer back.  No problems since it came back.

As has been recommended,  I would use a development server.  You can set it to do frequent backups or enable progressive backups with a time setting of 5 minutes.

• 5. Re: FM14 is getting slow and unstable
                  wimdecorte

keysolutions wrote:

And totally out of left field: I would look really hard at how I could break that solution up into different files.  Just because everything can be in one file does not make it a good strategy.  This is a case in point.  Backup efficiency and disk space would be another one.

Split off the static data from the most frequently changing data. If you are storing container data, certainly split that off into its own file and look into using the Remote Container feature.

• 6. Re: FM14 is getting slow and unstable
                    taylorsharpe

Wim has some solid advice about using FMS.  I almost never work on files locally because if something happens to the app, the file is easily corrupted or closed improperly.  Server services like FMS are much less likely to crash if for nothing else, they have no user interface.  Stability is the whole purpose of FMS. 

Before I became a developer, I avoided FMS because I was just running personal databases and trying to save money.  If you are just doing this for yourself and don't need to serve up a multiple people as a business, then get the $99 Developer License here, which comes with a FMS license.  Its only limitations are how many connected users.  So it is a great development tool and gets you the benefits of the server inexpensively. 

I used to experience file corruptions a lot and have to go to backups.  Since using server, it just doesn't happen anymore. 

• 7. Re: FM14 is getting slow and unstable

So, you're saying it's common practice (or even doable) to split a FMP application into "layers" (code, data, UI)?

Is there a whitepaper or similar on how to do this?

Thanks in advance, W.

- m

• 8. Re: FM14 is getting slow and unstable
                        wimdecorte

It's fairly common practice to have two files: one for just the data, the other for all UI and scripts.  The premise is that you can then easily swap out the UI/scripts without having to migrate the data.

http://www.seedcode.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=SeedCodeComplete2.SeparationModel

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com/Resources/filemaker_solution_architectures_en.pdf

Radical Separation, part 1 | FileMakerHacks

• 10. Re: FM14 is getting slow and unstable
                          keysolutions

Wim’s advice is not bad. I do it sometimes. But I work on two different addresses, so putting the database on a server is not a real option. To much trouble, to risky to forget to get the latest version. I used this database as an example, it’s not the only one I have trouble with and my other Mac runs El Capitan and has similar trouble.

I’m reluctant putting a server on the Mac I’ working on, and as far as I know you don’t get the hardware to come with the Development Server (I’m already a member).

• 11. Re: FM14 is getting slow and unstable
                            keysolutions

It’s not the hardware. Similar problems occur on another Mac with El Capitan.

• 12. Re: FM14 is getting slow and unstable
                              keysolutions

Thanks Wim.

The file that triggered me putting this ‘complaint’ on the forum is mainly very large because it contains at this moment some 40.000 thumbnails. I already make use of the external storage option, but since this file needs to be on my iPad and I don’t want to create a selfcontaining copy each time I make use of the thumbnail function for display on the iPad. On my Mac I can use the externaly stored version.

You comment triggered me to look if it is doable to split at least part of the data (this is a private project which I started with FileMaker Plus) into a separate file. I was under the impression it could not be done if you wanted to put the file onto an iPad. A small test just showed me it can be done.

The backup however is the least of my concerns. Storage is cheap and I use an application to backup my data.

• 13. Re: FM14 is getting slow and unstable
                                wimdecorte

keysolutions wrote:

Wim’s advice is not bad. I do it sometimes. But I work on two different addresses, so putting the database on a server is not a real option. To much trouble, to risky to forget to get the latest version.

I work in different places too and solved the issue by using the VPN capability of OSX Server to allow me access to my server from anywhere I am and still maintain good security.

As to hardware: you could consider running Parallels or VMware and install OSX or Windows on it to act as the server.  I do a lot of that for testing.

• 14. Re: FM14 is getting slow and unstable

Don't know if you tried this but I use a utility called "iStat Menu" that gives me all kinds of information about memory, processor, etc., right in the menu bar.

iStat Menus

It may help you diagnose your FMP performance issues.

- m

1 2 Previous Next