10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2016 11:36 AM by TSGal

First window from the Dock inactive

PieroF

Summary:

The first time in a user session FMPA is activated by clicking a file.fmp12 icon on the dock, the new window is inactive and FMPA “locked”.

Product:

FileMaker Pro Advanced 13 and 14

Operating Sustem version:

OS X 10.10.x and 10.11.x

Description:

The first time after a reboot or a user logout/login FMPA is started by clicking on a file.fmp12 icon on the dock, the first window is opened but remains “locked”, that is no activity is possible on it, none of its buttons works, no field is accessible, all menus are greyed out, with the exception of the File/Open and File/Close and a few others in the File set. Instead Toolbar buttons continue to work, but the window remains “locked”.

When this happens, selecting a different app and returning to FileMaker restores normal operation.

Steps to reproduce the problem:

0. prepare by dragging an existing file.fmp12 to the right section of the dock

1. Reboot the system, or user logout (sh-cmd-Q) and then login again

2. Click on the file.fmp12 icon in the dock

3. Its first window is inactive and cannot be accessed

Note1: What described above happens 95% of the times. The remaining times instead everything works as expected (the new window is active and usable).

Note2: any subsequent activation of file.fmp12 from the dock in the same user session works as expected, till next reboot or logout.

Configuration information

Issue confirmed with a minimal test database with no plugins installed and no scripts.

Workaraound

Switch to different app and then switch back to FMPA

References:

The effect is identical to that  described in the “Closing a FileMaker window while FM is not active leads to a state where no window can be active” issue, reported here on Dec 15, 2014 - But the triggering cause is different.

• 1. Re: First window from the Dock inactive
          TSGal

PieroF:

Thank you for your post.

As mentioned in your other post, I am still unable to replicate the issue.  I have placed a database file in the Dock, rebooted the machine, and then clicked on the file in the Dock.  FileMaker Pro 14.0.5 launches, the file opens, and I'm able to access any menu, any field, etc.  I performed this test five times on each of my computers (iMac running Mac OS X 10.11.3 and MacBook Pro running Mac OS X 10.10.5).  No applications are set to launch during startup.

Let me know what other steps I need to take to reproduce this issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: First window from the Dock inactive
            PieroF

Thanks TSGal,

the issue is really driving me mad. It is a marginal problem. OK but still...

Since it didn’t disappear using new versions of FMPA and MacOS I spent some time trying to isolate the issue.

I have 2 Macs (iMac and MacBook Pro) running two different OS versions (Mavericks and El Capitan) and the same FMPA 14.0.5: on both I have this same issue. I also created a very simple and almost empty DB and it has this same issue too. Then I tried with other apps (e.g. TextEdit and Preview) and they instead work just fine.

I also added a small script to the test DB; the script is triggered by the OnFirstWindowOpen (and OnWindowOpen) triggers and issues a Show Custom Dialog: both the first window and the dialog get stuck, i.e. both share the same problem. But the OK button of the dialog works: if I click it the dialog closes (the script does just that) and the window still remains in the inactive mode. Only the usual workaround unlocks this state.

I also tried to use the FMPA debugger to see what happens: to no avail because I cannot get it enabled “before” the issue occurs.

Finally by using Show Custom Dialog in the OnFirstWindowOpen script I found out that Get ( WindowName ), Get ( WindowVisible ), Get ( WindowMode ), Get ( WindowStyle ), Get ( LayoutViewState ) always return the same values: <name>; 1; 0; 0; 1, whether or not the first window is inactive: not very useful.

In any case the problem steps are now clear to me: 1st the FMPA app jumps high in the dock and stops only if I click on it (during this phase FMPA sits in the lowest priority = rightmost position in the cmd-TAB list) - 2nd after clicking the app in the dock FMPA starts (loads?) and shows the inactive window (during this phase FMPA sits in the highest priority = leftmost position in the cmd-TAB list - it should be actually running but instead it seems to wait for some mysterious event).

The workaround: Cmd-TAB (or click on a window of any other app) activates another app; another Cmd-TAB (or click on the FMPA window) makes FMPA AND its window finally active!

Could it be a localization problem (for FMPA) ?

Can you suggest me other additional tests to do, since this issue happens to me regularly ?

Thanks a lot for your help

Piero

• 3. Re: First window from the Dock inactive
              TSGal

PieroF:

Since I cannot replicate under Mac OS X 10.11.3 English and Mac OS X 10.10.5 English, I have sent all information to our Development and Testing departments so they can test under Italian and other languages.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: First window from the Dock inactive
                TSGal

PieroF:

Testing has been unable to replicate the issue under an Italian system.  They will need more information to proceed.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: First window from the Dock inactive
                  PieroF

Which kind of information do they need:

- more detailed description of the steps ?

- configuration description of the system (EtreCheck) ?

- list of running/installed application ?

- snapshots of the screen ?

- others

Piero

• 6. Re: First window from the Dock inactive
                    TSGal

PieroF:

I've given you my steps.  Let me know what steps I have missed.

I've given you my configuration.  Our Testing department has been unable to reproduce under an Italian OS.

I've tried it with some applications open.  This step would be unnecessary.

No need for screen snapshots.  I only need to know how to reproduce the issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: First window from the Dock inactive
                      PieroF

Thanks TSGal for your time and your patience!

First of all after a more accurate testing it seems to me that the problem exists only if FMPA was left running (no cmd-Q command issued) before shutdown/reboot or logout. I repeated the following steps at least 20 times this morning and results are quite consistent.

Testing configuration: OS X 10.10.5 Italian, FileMaker Pro Advanced 14.0.5

I try to list more detailed steps to reproduce the problem:

1. Setup by dragging an existing file.fmp12 to the right section of the dock:

- now file.fmp12 can be activated by just 1-click on its icon in the dock

2. Make sure FMPA is loaded (it has a black dot under its app icon in the dock) and no FMPA window is open

3. Make a finder logout (sh-cmd-Q) and then login again:

- as a result FMPA is already “loaded”: its icon lays steady in the dock with a black dot and no FMPA window is open

4. Click on the file.fmp12 icon in the dock:

- FMPA in the dock starts jumping high - not proceeding

5. Click on the jumping FMPA icon:

- the FMPA icon stops jumping, FMPA opens Its first window for file.fmp12 - but this window is inactive and cannot be accessed - only its toolbar buttons are accessible and very few File menu items (among them cmd-Q)

Way out:

6. cmd-TAB: switches to a different app (or the finder) - (NB: any other way to do this switch works as well)

7. cmd-TAB: switches back to FMPA - (NB: any other way to do this switch works as well)

- now the file.fmp12 window is finally active (as it should have been since step 4. above)

Other Way out: cmd-Q to close FMPA.

Note: any subsequent activation of file.fmp12 from the dock in the same user session works as expected, till next logout.

But: if step 2. changes to:

2a. Make sure FMPA is NOT loaded

then: after logout/login everything works as expected: clicking on the file.fmp12 icon in the dock activates FMPA and its first window fine.

But: if step 2. changes to:

2b. Make sure FMPA is loaded (it has a black dot under its app icon in the dock) and one of its windows is open

then: after logout/login everything works as expected as for 2a. above (even if the Command Panel was open in place of that last window in the previous session)

I'm afraid this is basically what I found out so far.

As I wrote before since I can reproduce the problem pretty easily while you cannot, I'd appreciate additional debugging suggestions to let me go deeper into the testing... if this is possible.

Again thanks TSGal!

Piero

• 8. Re: First window from the Dock inactive
                        TSGal

PieroF:

Thank you for the additional instructions.  Our Testing department is now able to replicate the issue.  In addition, they have also discovered that if you set the file in the Dock to "Open at Login", the same results occur.  That is, FileMaker bounces on the Dock and you must click it to make it active.

This information has been sent to Development for further review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: First window from the Dock inactive
                          PieroF

Good!

Thanks so much for being able to replicate it.

Now I hope it will be soon fixed in some future dot release...

Just out of curiosity: it occurs also on the English version or only on the Italian version ?

Thanks anyway

Piero

• 10. Re: First window from the Dock inactive
                            TSGal

PieroF:

The issue occurs with all languages.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.