3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2016 6:58 AM by TSGal

    .xls column can't be imported ("m³" in 1st row)

    kraaijeveld

      Filemaker 14 (and previous) on Mac OS X 10.11.

       

      Importing an .xls sheet: the column won't be shown on import dialog in an existing FM and not imported if opened directly.

      Cause the text "m³" in the top cell of the column.

       

      Work around: remove the ³ or open the file in Excel and save as .xlsx.

       

      Peter

        • 1. Re: .xls column can't be imported ("m³" in 1st row)
          TSGal

          kraaijeveld:

           

          Thank you for your post.

           

          I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done:

           

          1. On an iMac using Mac OS X 10.11.3, I launched FileMaker Pro 14.0.5 and directly imported your enclosed 16.03.04.xls file.  I ended up with a database file with two fields: "Tijdstip" and "levering total_m3_" and 24 records.  All data appears.

           

          2. I created a new database file, TEST.fmp12, with two Text fields (F1 and F2).  I pulled down the File menu and selected Import Records -> File...    I selected the file 16.03.04.xls, aligned the fields to F1 and F2, entered a checkmark in the option "Don't import first record (contains field names)", and clicked "Import".  All 24 records were imported.

           

          Let me know what steps I am missing so I can replicate the issue.

           

          TSGal

          FileMaker, Inc.

          • 2. Re: .xls column can't be imported ("m³" in 1st row)
            kraaijeveld

            Hi, thanks for your quick response.

             

            I did new tests and could partly reproduce the problem.

             

            Test1 wrong

            with a .xls and a .xlsx

            I opened both of them directly with FM (with names in first row).

            See the results: of the .xls the column “levering totaal ” is completely missing. The other goes fine.

             

            Test2 ok

            In file 16.03.04 no [].xls I removed the "[]”

            In file 16.03.04 no 3.xls I removed the “³”

            Both imported well in FM.

             

            Test3 ok

            I opened and saved the .xls file with my Excel 2011.

            I opened and saved the .xls file with my Excel 2016.

            Both imported well in FM.

             

            Test4 wrong

            I opened an untouched .xls (from another day) in FM:

            Bingo! Field is missing again.

            It seems that the orginal .xls isn’nt well written or there’s a language or settings iisue?

             

            The origin of the .xls is from a energy monitoring site “https://www.slimmemeterportal.nl <http://slimmemeter.nl/>”.

             

            Test5 wrong

            Import in the intended system, of the same .xls: in de field mapping dialog of FM the field is missing.

            • 3. Re: .xls column can't be imported ("m³" in 1st row)
              TSGal

              kraaijeveld:

               

              Performing your "Test1", I am unable to reproduce the problem.  See the screen shot below.

               

              Using the same new database file, I performed your "Test5".  Both fields are listed, and the data is imported.

               

              TSGal

              FileMaker, Inc.

               

              Screen Shot 2016-03-08 at 6.55.45 AM.png