6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2016 9:56 AM by srbridges

Converting data in table to a single field

srbridges

I have a table of contacts, and a related table of skills each contact has (based on a value list). For ease in data entry, I would like to convert the data in the skills table to a checkbox formatted field in  contacts. If I import the data from the skills table, will each related skills record append onto the data in the skills field in Contacts? Or will I need to create a return delimited list in the Skills table to import into the Contacts table?

• 1. Re: Converting data in table to a single field
          beverly

Since checkboxes is a format applied to a field, then a return-delimited list of values is needed.

I don't know why you need checkboxes instead of related values (and it doesn't matter!)

But, yes, you would need to make a list of all the related skills to bring back into a single field (checkboxes).

beverly

• 2. Re: Converting data in table to a single field
            srbridges

Thank you Beverly.... If I could figure out how to accomplish the ease of the "checkbox" data entry by using a portal from the skills table, I would prefer to do that... but I can't figure out how to do it... Any suggestions?

• 3. Re: Converting data in table to a single field
              beverly

You can have a single field in your parent record that has been formatted as checkboxes. This can be a value-list based on the skills table. However, it's not a 'related field' in any way and not shown in a portal.

You might wish to use the values in the skills table as a value-list, but formatted as drop-down or pop-up in a related portal field. Then each new related record can choose from the value-list. I would be possible to have duplicates (choosing the same skill in different portal rows).

Can you explain a little more of what you are trying to do? Is it the convenience of the checkbox (toggle on/off)? Is it the uniqueness of the values (no duplicates)?

I'm sure there are ways to have a single checkbox field and perform a script trigger anytime it changes (add/remove checks) to create/delete related records (not necessarily shown, but more convenient for reporting many times).

beverly

• 4. Re: Converting data in table to a single field
                siplus

the basic problem is that you will only get the existing skills, as checked, while you won't get the absent ones as unchecked.

• 5. Re: Converting data in table to a single field
                  srbridges

I was thinking the convenience of checkboxes would be easier for data entry when I pass on my job (membership secretary) to someone else....but after thinking about it, I have decided that leaving the skills in a separate table is better, and by eliminating some unnecessary fields from the portal, and having the skills in a dropdown field is as simple as the checkbox.

Thanks for your suggestions. And back to my original questions - I did remember that I could have brought over the data from the Skills table into the Contacts table by use of the List function so I was making it harder than necessary..

• 6. Re: Converting data in table to a single field
                    srbridges

I discovered that... therefore decided to stick with separate tables! Thanks for your comment!