FM14ADV

I have a field that has a lot of data, including something like this:

Headlights Dusk Sensor | dusk sensing

Seating Configuration

1st Row Seating Capacity | 2

2nd Row Seating Capacity | 3

3rd Row Seating Capacity | 2

Specifications

I am trying to write a statement that would grab the 2,3,2 then add them to show 7

Any ideas on how to do that?

Thanks!!

Tom

• 1. Re: parsing text question
          Mike_Mitchell

Hey, Tom. Couple of different approaches:

1) You can write a script to loop over the rows one at a time. Then you get:

GetValue ( Substitute ( currentRow ; " | " ; "¶" ) ; 2 )

gives you the number in that row. Just keep a running count and when you run out of rows, you're done.

2) You can use a custom function to extract the last column, then use the Sum function to total them up. Something like this:

Sum ( Substitute ( cfGetColumn ( yourData ; 2 ; " | " ; "" ) ; "¶" ; "; " ))

The cfGetColumn function is listed below. HTH

Mike

/*

GetColumn function

Author

*COMMENT Visual Realisation

Format

cfGetColumn ( text ; columnNumber ; columnDelimiter )

Parameters

text - any text expression or text field

columnNumber - any numeric expression or field containing a number

columnDelimiter - any text expression or text field

result - initially empty; used for tail recursion

Data type returned

text

Description

Returns a carriage return-delimited list of values from the requested column in a tabular text array.

July 7, 2008

Modified February, 2014 to use tail recursion

Mike Mitchell, Net Caster Solutions

www.netcastersolutions.com

*/

Let ( [

row  = GetValue ( text ; 1 ) ;

cell = MiddleValues ( Substitute ( row ; columnDelimiter ; ¶ ) ; columnNumber ; 1 ) ;

cell = Substitute ( cell ; ¶ ; "" ) ;

countRows = ValueCount ( text )

] ;

Case (

countRows > 0 ;

cfGetColumn ( RightValues ( text ; countRows - 1 ) ; columnNumber ; columnDelimiter ; List ( result ; cell )) ;

result

)

)

• 2. Re: parsing text question
            Tom_Droz

Mike

You are probably right but I am not getting how to find those particular columns.  Not clear on how I would use this

I will look at it more and see if I can figure it out

There are a 100+ other rows in the data and I have no idea where these item will show up or if they will show up

• 3. Re: parsing text question
              user19752

How long the data string?

Add numbers between | and ¶

Evaluate (

"Case(\"" &

Substitute ( YourField ; [ "\"" ; "" ] ; [ "\\" ; "" ] ; [ "|" ; "\" or 1;\"" ] ; [ ¶ ; "\";0)+Case(\"" ] ) &

"\";0)"

)

I don't prefer to use this

• 4. Re: parsing text question
                taylorsharpe

Having data in a field like this is called non-normalized data. 

I would write a script that takes the data and converts it to a table with an Item field, Description Field, Amount and have a summary field totalling Amount.  Once normalized, such calculations are easy. 

But, yes, you can do some cool things like Mike showed above.  The problem I find is that often non-normalized data has poor quality such as not being consistent (extra tab here, extra carrier return there, a bunch of blank space, etc), making calculations like Mike showed not yield the desired results.  So normalizing it and cleaning it up helps out a lot.  But it also will make you have to work at cleaning up data that doesn't parse out into normalized data. 

• 5. Re: parsing text question
                  Mike_Mitchell

I had assumed you'd already isolated the rows you needed. If that's not the case, then you'll probably need to loop over the rows and look for a pattern count. Example:

Case ( PatternCount ( currentRow ; "Seating Capacity" ) > 0 )

Move any rows that meet those criteria to a new variable, then parse it.

But Taylor is right. Text parsing can be fragile if the incoming data are not consistent. These are "fun" problems for that reason.  

• 6. Re: parsing text question
                    Tom_Droz

I am struggling to figure out your way, which I suspect is better than what I settled on

Case (
                    PatternCount ( $VehicleJSON ; "1st Row Seating Capacity " ) >0;

Middle ( $$VehicleJSON ; Position ( $VehicleJSON; "1st Row Seating Capacity "; 0;1)+ 27;

1 )
                    ;0)
                    +
                    Case (
                    PatternCount ( $VehicleJSON ; "2nd Row Seating Capacity " ) >0;

Middle ( $VehicleJSON ; Position ( $VehicleJSON; "2nd Row Seating Capacity "; 0;1)+ 27;

1 )
                    ;0)

+
                    Case (
                    PatternCount ( $VehicleJSON ; "3rd Row Seating Capacity " ) >0;

Middle ( $VehicleJSON ; Position ( $VehicleJSON; "3rd Row Seating Capacity "; 0;1)+ 27;

1 )
                    ;0)

where the $VehicleJSON is the text

• 7. Re: parsing text question
                      Mike_Mitchell

You need to extract the rows you need in order for this to work. You can loop over the $VehicleJSON variable and store it in another variable before you process. Example:

Set Variable [ $count ; Value: 1 ]

Loop

Set Variable [ $curRow ; Value: GetValue ( $VehicleJSON ; $count )

If [ PatternCount ( $curRow ; "Row Seating Capacity" ) > 0 ]

Set Variable [ $tempText ; Value: List ( $tempText ; $curRow ) ]

End If

Exit Loop If [ Let ( $count = $count + 1 ; $count > ValueCount ( $VehicleJSON )) ]

End Loop

Set Variable [ $valueList ; Value: cfGetColumn ( $tempText ; 2 ; " | " ; "¶" ; "" ) ]

Set Variable [ $total ; Value: Sum ( Substitute ( $valueList ; "¶" ; "; " )) }

• 8. Re: parsing text question
                        user19752

This was not usable if there is | between | and ¶ , but op seems need to add more specific number, then changing "|" to "Row Seating Capacity" makes it stable.