11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2016 9:57 AM by shawnrohrbach

Filemaker Server 9 Management Console

shawnrohrbach

I have routinely made copies/clones of Filemaker databases without records.  I am attempting this again, but I get to the management console and I am not able to do anything to any of my databases.  I first need to close the database I want to clone, but that function does not work either through the actions field or by right clicking the appropriate database and selecting close.  I also need to open the database on the server to make the clone but am not being allowed to open the database on the server. If I open the db on a client as the owner/admin of the database, the copy as (no records) option is greyed out.  Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Filemaker Server 9 Management Console
          wimdecorte

If the admin console does not respond like you expect it too: close it.  Then from the command line run:

fmsadmin restart adminserver

That command only restarts the part of FMS that is responsible for the admin console.  Then see if you can close the file and download it.

Having said all of that: any of the backup schedules can be configured to also save a clone of the files...

• 2. Re: Filemaker Server 9 Management Console
            shawnrohrbach

wimdecorte, thanks for this.  I assume this needs to be done when there are

no clients logged into the databases or does this not affect the databases

at all just the console?

• 3. Re: Filemaker Server 9 Management Console
              wimdecorte

the fmsadmin restart adminserver is safe to do with clients connected because it does not affect the db engine or the wpe engine.  But you do you have to make sure your admin console is closed.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Server 9 Management Console
                shawnrohrbach

Thanks.  This worked fine and the functionality returned, but I am  not

able to open the database to make a clone.  When I right click the database

and select Open, it just returns the db to "normal" but does not open.  Do

I need the Filemaker client on the server to view the databases and use the

save as with no records option?

• 5. Re: Filemaker Server 9 Management Console
                  wimdecorte

shawnrohrbach wrote:

When I right click the database

and select Open, it just returns the db to "normal" but does not open.  Do

I need the Filemaker client on the server to view the databases and use the

save as with no records option?

The admin console will only host or unhost the file, not open it in a client

Typically you want to be very careful using a client on the server.

If you want to save a clone, just use the admin console to create a backup schedule to do so; no need to use a client.

• 6. Re: Filemaker Server 9 Management Console
                    shawnrohrbach

Very good and i appreciate your insights and help.  When I create a backup,

it will have current records, correct?  The idea for the clone is all of

the db functionality without any records for the 2015-2016 calendar year as

we transition to the 2016-2017 year.

• 7. Re: Filemaker Server 9 Management Console
                      worldcloud

As the CEO of Worldcloud, we have numerous users which have done the exact process that you are completing; however, I would encourage you to think of a minor database UI change so that the 'day to day' List Views where altered to show all records from the current year (as opposed to All Records).

With a few tweaks, you can keep multiple year data in the same database which permits more advanced reporting, less expensive hosting, and less code to maintain.

If this something you would like to explore, I would be happy to chat (free of charge) with you about it @ 865-384-8353 or joe@worldcloud.com.

• 8. Re: Filemaker Server 9 Management Console
                        shawnrohrbach

Worlcloud, thanks for this.  We had proposed this some time back but the idea of separate databases could not be shaken from their list fo must haves.  Anyway.  Perhaps you can enlighten me on something else.  After making the copy of the database and connecting folks to it, I made sure all other databases were accessible to other users.  No problem.  The next morning after routine DB backups and a reboot of the server (Windows 2003 with SPs) we could not access filemaker server on the Windows server.  FM server is running and all dbs are normal, but outside users who normally have access are blocked.  Any ideas?

• 9. Re: Filemaker Server 9 Management Console
                          shawnrohrbach

Let me add that I can remote in through another port, but ports 5000 and 50003 normally designated for client traffic seemed to be blocked and were open upon a second reboot.

• 10. Re: Filemaker Server 9 Management Console
                            wimdecorte

shawnrohrbach wrote:

Let me add that I can remote in through another port, but ports 5000 and 50003 normally designated for client traffic seemed to be blocked and were open upon a second reboot.

There is only one port used for client traffic in FM9: 5003.

Other ports are used for other functions but none play a role in the normal FMP client to FMS connection.

• 11. Re: Filemaker Server 9 Management Console
                              shawnrohrbach

Ok, thanks for this.  But any idea on what may be blocking the port upon routine reboot requiring a second reboot?