10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2016 9:45 AM by disabled_morkus

SQL Server now on Linux

DanielShanahan

Microsoft announced yesterday that SQL Server is now available on Linux.  I know this is apples and oranges and not directly comparable to FileMaker as FileMaker is not enterprise level software (though it does work within the enterprise).  I also know I've lost jobs to dev shops using SQL Server Express.  SQL Server is not just enterprise software.

Anyway, I thought this was interesting.

• 1. Re: SQL Server now on Linux
          mikebeargie

Oddly enough, FileMaker for a brief moment had a linux server distro. It was discontinued when 7 came out, and I'm not sure when it first came out (although I know the version I dealt with was FMS5.5)

There is a reasonable case for it, especially when you consider that they're pushing for web applications and a large chunk of web servers are linux servers.

However I fear the open source nature of linux servers may drive FMI to think that it's "more trouble than it's worth" in terms of supporting and testing on a hardware/OS with infinite possible combinations. I speculate that this is a similar reason to why we've never seen FileMaker Go for androidOS.

Honestly though, the server cost is a pretty small cost when looking at microsoft SQL server licensing (SQL express excluded). And SQL server doesn't really have to worry about hosting interface (or generating it, in WebDirect's case).

Ah well, we can dream at least.

• 2. Re: SQL Server now on Linux
            monkeybreadsoftware

Well, guys, do you visit DevCon?

Some read the texts on the slides for the keynote.

Others read this forum for discussion about hosting changes or see the FBA webinars.

And others know what Amazon has to offer for cloud servers.

It's not difficult to connect the dots and see what FileMaker is heading to.

• 3. Re: SQL Server now on Linux
              PointInSpace

Actually, available "later this year", not "now".

- John

• 4. Re: SQL Server now on Linux
                mikebeargie

I'm assuming you mean cloud servers hosting filemaker, in which case yes, they are already there.

However support of Linux is a separate beast. A lot of the popular cloud options like AWS and RackSpace already offer a microsoft server based cloud offering, so what's the compelling reason for FMI to support linux as well?

• 5. Re: SQL Server now on Linux
                  taylorsharpe

Mike Beargie wrote:

I'm assuming you mean cloud servers hosting filemaker, in which case yes, they are already there.

However support of Linux is a separate beast. A lot of the popular cloud options like AWS and RackSpace already offer a microsoft server based cloud offering, so what's the compelling reason for FMI to support linux as well?

There are some places that see supporting Linux as being supportive of Open Source.  Others see Microsoft servers as being magnets for attacks or see using them as supporting evil corporate culture.  And many just can't think of a Mac OS X as being a real server machine even though it obviously can.  A few have some loyalty to IBM.  So there are those that really would host FileMaker on Linux if offered.  Since Mac OS X and Linux are both Unix flavors, it probably would not be that big of a hurdle to accomplish and maybe open some additional opportunities. 

Note that those of us without Linux experience we have to bone up on yet another OS.  Not sure I want something else to learn, but things keep coming my way!  And it probably would make tech support more difficult for FileMaker.  So there are downsides to it too. 

• 6. Re: SQL Server now on Linux
                    ChrisMoyer

Makes sense for Microsoft to do that. The Docker ecosystem is getting huge, and while Docker has been moving in the direction of Windows, it's primarily a Linux beast. Microsoft sees it as strategic, and doesn't want their mindshare to get overrun by all the open source Docker database container implementations.

• 7. Re: SQL Server now on Linux
                      jfletch

My preference for Linux is that there are no real hardware options for Mac OX. The quad-core i7 Minis of yesteryear are getting really expensive on eBay, even though they only have one PSU. Decent Xserves are getting hard to find. 2012 Mac Pros can hold their own pretty well, but take up a lot of room, are a bear to rack and still only have one PSU. And why would anyone pay extra money for two beast graphics cards like in the 2014 Mac Pro, which ALSO has only one PSU. Apple currently makes nothing that can reasonably be called a "server." (Not that they haven't tried.)

When you look at great, used, off-lease, real server hardware from other manufacturers, the options are legion. The problem there is that, because of FMI's OS options (and Apple's EULA), you have to become a Windows Server administrator to use one. And BUY Windows Server, because FMI doesn't support desktop Windows for FMS anymore.

That means that a small business that is an all-Mac shop has zero attractive options. At least a Linux box is inexpensive and approachable, as close to Mac OS as you can get, and quite doable, hardware-wise.

+1 for FMS Linux.

• 8. Re: SQL Server now on Linux
                        jfletch

Mike said: "However I fear the open source nature of linux servers may drive FMI to think that it's "more trouble than it's worth" in terms of supporting and testing on a hardware/OS with infinite possible combinations. I speculate that this is a similar reason to why we've never seen FileMaker Go for androidOS."

Two things there:

1. FMI can limit the distributions that it works with, just like they do with Mac and Win OSes. No problem there. The latest 2 versions of Ubuntu and maybe FreeBSD (or something else popular) and they would be done. It is so easy to download a distribution even _I_ can do it!

2. The reason that FMGo is not on Android is that NO ONE wants to be haunted by the ghost of Steve Jobs. ::-) Oh, and that your fragmentation argument is actually more valid with Android than it is with Linux. You can't tell consumers what to buy (obviously), but you can limit server admins' options and they'll get over it.

• 9. Re: SQL Server now on Linux
                          jfletch

"(Not that they haven't tried.)"  I meant that they have called things other than servers, "servers." I didn't mean that they haven't succeeded in making real live servers. The Xserves were, and for the time being, still are, awesome.

• 10. Re: SQL Server now on Linux

Pretty cool news.