11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2016 2:44 PM by msbertrand

Custom Web using PHP Windows 2012 R2 FM Server 14

msbertrand

Good day, I am having ongoing issue with Web engine crashing, and causing online to be unavailable.  I am running out of option, and my customer out of of patience. 

Anyone has any suggestions, the issue is intermittent, but always comes back...

Tks

• 1. Re: Custom Web using PHP Windows 2012 R2 FM Server 14
          macwombat

Hi.  Difficult situation when the issue is intermittent, but you are going to have to try to reproduce the problem to be able to diagnose it.  These sorts of things can be time consuming, but there usually is no easy fix - and certainly not for us to help you with the amount of information you have given us.  You may need to spend some time at your customer's workplace testing different scenarios to try to find out what is happening when it crashes.  If you can identify a common cause that might point you in the right direction.  Make sure all software is up to date.  Make sure that PHP versions being used are compatible with your windows setup - ie  if PHP has been upgraded with a server upgrade, you may need to update your Custom Web PHP code.  If it crashes on the same layout every time there could be a corruption with that layout.  Check FMServer logs to see if there are any errors that indicate what is happening.  Sorry this advice is fairly general - but you haven't given us much to go on.

HTH.  Chris

• 2. Re: Custom Web using PHP Windows 2012 R2 FM Server 14
            Mike_Mitchell

What do the logs have to say?

• 3. Re: Custom Web using PHP Windows 2012 R2 FM Server 14
              wimdecorte

the bandaid solution is to create an OS-level schedule to use the fmsadmin command line to restart WPE every x minutes/hours/...

That can hopefully buy you time to the things that Chris mentions.

• 4. Re: Custom Web using PHP Windows 2012 R2 FM Server 14
                msbertrand

Tks all, I actually restored a backup copy of my web file - I have 'one' file hosted (out of 23) that is used for web purposes only and to which PHP connects and manage web services - upon restoring a backup file it has restored stability.

I made a change to a field in this file on Friday, changing a 'text' field to a 'calculated' field and added a relationship to a system file.  It crash simultaneously the web and never worked since this change.  Restore the backup file prior to this change did resolve the issue so far.

Now hit me, I made a change to a live database while file hosted, I guess I should never do that...  Will see how it goes, tks for the help

• 5. Re: Custom Web using PHP Windows 2012 R2 FM Server 14
                  CarstenLevin

Sorry for this simple question: Have you updated to the latest version of the server 14.0v4?

• 6. Re: Custom Web using PHP Windows 2012 R2 FM Server 14
                    CarstenLevin

Is the server dedicated or shared ... are there no other problems with the server?

• 7. Re: Custom Web using PHP Windows 2012 R2 FM Server 14
                      msbertrand

Yes, all my FM application are always religiously up to date.  The current hosting is deployed on multiple machine, it is a dedicated server and mandatory for my customer.  If a server is not 'dedicated' I cannot support.

Server does have an issue with Java, from time to time windows pop a box 'Java stop working'.  I advise the IT manager to look into this asap.  Other than that server appears to be stable but it has random performance drops.  I use iOS, FM Pro and PHP connections most are local on LAN.

Tks

• 8. Re: Custom Web using PHP Windows 2012 R2 FM Server 14
                        msbertrand

Actually, I am thinking of hiring a 3rd party to review my solution, software and hardware used to manage it.

I feel it has exceed my level of knowledge and I could be part of the problem.  The only way to confirm this is to have a 3rd party looking at what I do, anyone has a suggestion?  I think this is critical for my future.  Tks

• 9. Re: Custom Web using PHP Windows 2012 R2 FM Server 14
                          CarstenLevin

Have a look at certified developers in your region FileMaker Consultants, Data Consultants, Database Consultants

Most developers will respect other developers relation to their customers and will be willing to go in and offer consultancy where needed.

Best regards

Carsten

• 10. Re: Custom Web using PHP Windows 2012 R2 FM Server 14
                            CarstenLevin

Any analysis or idea of when/in what situation the WPE is crashing?

• Under specific conditions?
                            • At completely random intervals?
                            • Only when users are connected/using it or also during the night/iddle hours?

And:

• Could you try and restart the server every 2 or 3 days ... if doing so, will it still crash WPE?
                            • What does the server log say when WPE has stopped ... can you check the log ... did something happen just before or is anything logged about the WPE crash?
                            • Are you running server scripts on the server?
                            • Is the server set up to send you emails on errors etc. And if so, are you receiving alert emails?

Just to get started

• 11. Re: Custom Web using PHP Windows 2012 R2 FM Server 14
                              msbertrand

I believe the change I made to the database while it was hosted and user connected triggered this issue.  Upon reloading a backup file, it resolve the web engine to crash consistently.  The problem occurred immediately after making a change to a field from a 'text' to 'calculated'.  Therefore it appear I caused the issue.

I am running a recovery on the file causing issue, so will see what it says.  This recover process was done recently as part of a maintenance program and never had any problems.  I will have something to compare the problem file with at least.

Regards