1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 9, 2016 5:26 AM by mikebeargie

Experience with Windows RT and FM Webdirect

Zerojojo

You good people,

does anybody have experience with FM Webdirect on a Windows RT machine?

A client of mine has a Surface with Windows RT from 2013 (yes, I know, royally screwed) and is accessing my solution over Webdirect. They report abysmal performance, as in filling in a few simple things takes many minutes of waiting time upon commit. We have other clients using Webdirect without problems and I also tested it myself in various situations on low spec hardware. The solution is definitely not at fault. Yes, they "only" have a 6 MBit connection, but that does not explain why it would be that painfully slow. Unfortunately, with the limitations of Windows RT, I cannot try a different browser or install a full version of FileMaker, so there go my easy options.

So I'm assuming that maybe Windows RT might be at fault through some slight browser incompatibility. To go to my client and test it myself is quite a trip and nobody I know has a Surface RT, so I thought I'd try my luck here. Any experience would be much appreciated.

Best regards,

Johannes

• 1. Re: Experience with Windows RT and FM Webdirect
          mikebeargie

Windows RT is not a supported mobile device. Windows RT isn't even a platform anymore, it got killed along with the surface 2. IMHO, anything that old is garbage and support should not even be attempted.

Windows RT was also notorious by not allowing 3rd party browsers (I believe at one point, the mozilla foundation was going to sue microsoft over blocking it), so you can't install another browser like chrome that would have better compatibility.

Unfortunately, I believe you've proven the device itself is most likely at fault. Fundamentally, it's most likely the way WinRT integrates internet explorer into the OS.

Google "Windows RT browser slow", there's a lot of results there you can point your client to and see if they can improve the device, but I would recommend advising them it's a discontinued platform that was never really meant for WebDirect, and point them to a number of newer alternatives instead.

Not sure if Windows RT had a RDP client available, but I thought I recalled surface users being able to remote on to a machine running filemaker pro and use it that way. Maybe that would work?