5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2016 4:43 AM by serval

How to open a layout in list view in the same sort order as it was when last viewed?

serval

The Scripts Reference manual for Sort Records says,

“When Specify sort order is not selected, FileMaker Pro uses the most recently executed sort instructions.”

I am not experiencing that.

While viewing a record in Table A in Form View, I have a script attached to a button to look at a different table, Table B, in List View:

New Window

Go to Layout [“Table B” (Table B) ]

Sort Records [ No dialog ]

The Sort Records command has no order specified.

The resulting Table B list has no apparent order, and it is different order than if I use menu View > Layout > Table B.

While viewing Table B from clicking that button, I can sort it differently by clicking on the column headers, which are buttons with attached scripts that use Sort Record with order specified.

Sort Records [ Restore ; No dialog ]

I then close the window with Table B, going back to the original view of Table A.

If I then again click the button to open and sort Table B, Table B opens in the same order it did the first time. (That is, no apparent order.)

If I specify a sort order in the button script that opens Table B, then Table B always opens in that specified sort order, but I want it to open in the order it was in when I last closed it.

Note:

When a sort order is specified with the Sort Records step, it shows in the script as

Sort Records [ Restore ; No dialog ]

When a sort order is not specified with the Sort Records step, it shows in the script as

Sort Records [ No dialog ]

The Scripts Reference manual does not describe the “Restore” option, and appears to automatically linked to the inclusion of a specified sort order.

• 1. Re: How to open a layout in list view in the same sort order as it was when last viewed?
          user19752

Each window have its sort order, so you lose "recent order" when close the window.

"Restore" in script step mean "save the option in the step", so if it is in "Sort Records", every time the window is sorted same order.

• 2. Re: How to open a layout in list view in the same sort order as it was when last viewed?
            Vaughan

The "no apparent order" to records is "creation order" -- oldest records first, newest records last. So there is an order. It's also what you get when the table is "unsorted". The Sort script step with no saved sort is probably not doing anything: it's certainly not restoring the previous sort order because it does not work that way.

If you want a window to open with a particular set of records in a particular order, you are going to have to program that yourself. That will mean remembering (probably using global variables) what sort buttons were clicked, and re-sorting the records when the window opens again. Saving the found set can be done (store record ids) but it will become slow when record numbers become large to the point where it will be a problem. You will have to decide how to handle multiple windows (e.g. the user opens 2 windows for table B and sorts them differently: which gets saved?) It may be possible to have these settings persist between sessions (i.e., FMP is quit) by saving them to a "preferences" table \at file close and loading them at file open, but this will become rather complicated in a multi-user setting because each user may want their own settings remembered.

FileMaker's snapshot feature might help saving record sets and sort orders, but I haven't used it myself.

Sorting a table of records can be a HUGE performance hit, because all the data for the sort field has to be r4ead from disk (or from the server via the network) for all records in the found set, then processed to work out which record is first, which is last, and where the rest go. It can take seconds or minutes to complete. This is time the user is waiting for the database to respond. It's not fun.

Think about designing for multiple users and large record sets. It's very hard getting responsiveness back into a slow database when the poor performance is cause by huge amounts of data being moved around unnecessarily in the background to do things like sorting.

• 3. Re: How to open a layout in list view in the same sort order as it was when last viewed?
              serval

Thanks for your replies.

I had started to program in remembering the last sort order when I ran across the statement in the Scripts Reference manual I quoted. There seem to be a lot of things in the Reference manuals that are not explained well.

I had guessed that the “no apparent order” I experienced was the record creation order. Out of curiosity, I also just went to the View menu to open that layout, expecting to get that same order, but the resulting order was a different “no apparent order.” Why either order is what it is is not important since neither one is useful.

I plan on remembering the last sort order of each layout with a non-displayed field in that layout. That should remember the last sort order across sessions. I'll find out if I'm right.

Thanks for the warning about performance hits due to sorting.

Both of your answers (user19752 and Vaughn) appear to be correct, but this Forum will only let me mark one.

• 4. Re: How to open a layout in list view in the same sort order as it was when last viewed?
                Vaughan

I always ask these questions:

1) What will happen if the user opens 2 or more windows of the solution? Does the technique applied in one window affect the other windows? Does the technique need to be able to handle multiple windows independently? Can there be record locking issues with multiple windows even with a single user?

2) What will happen when the database is shared with 2 or more users? What happens when each user has more than one window open? Does the technique applied for one user affect the other users or do they need to be independent? Will there be record locking issues caused by multiple users and multiple windows?

There are techniques around that handle these issues, but IMHO the developer needs to be aware that these are issues that need to be accounted for.

• 5. Re: How to open a layout in list view in the same sort order as it was when last viewed?
                  serval

Good questions.

1) The user cannot open more than 1 window. While I said, “I also just went to the View menu to open that layout …,” I can do that because I am the developer, but the user cannot.

2) Currently this is a single-user system. If it eventually were to grow to multiple users, I will have a problem here, as I do not know how to store independent values of the last sort order. I suspect it would be another table, with fields of user, layout name, and  last sort order.