Michael Westendorf

Product and version

FileMaker Go 14 (all/latest)

OS and version

iOS Latest

Hardware

iPhone 6s

Description

I am working on a project with one of the major auto companies. Using the native barcode scanner in FileMaker Go 14. The VIN number on the door jamb or the front windshield will not scan.

How to replicate

Using the file attached try to scan a VIN on any vehicle some are in the front windshield some are on the door jamb.

Workaround (if any)

Currently using the product from CNS barcode. But would love a native solution.

I would be happy to discuss the details of the project back channel if you are interested.

• 1. Re: FM GO Scanning VIN Barcodes
          TSGal

Michael Westendorf:

Thank you for your post.

Reading that a VIN is Code 39, I initially set my script step to only scan Code 39.  Like you, I was unable to make this work.  I then changed to all codes, and ONCE out of 20+ attempts, I was able to make it work.

I see that your file was also set to all codes, and although my button was calling a script, I got the same results as you.

I have sent your file along with my findings to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FM GO Scanning VIN Barcodes
            Michael Westendorf

Thank you. That is the same rate of success my customer was experiencing before switching to CNS barcode.

• 3. Re: FM GO Scanning VIN Barcodes
              Michael Westendorf

Hi TSGal,

Just checking to see you have heard anything on this bug.

Mike

• 4. Re: FM GO Scanning VIN Barcodes
                TSGal

Michael Westendordf:

Testing used an iPhone 6 Plus and iPad Air 2 on two cars (Mazda and Acura) without any issues.  They also recently tested with an iPad 3 and iPhone 5.  Two factors should be considered:

1. The camera type.  The newer devices have better cameras.  Front and back cameras from the same device can give you different scanning results.

2. The scanning environment.  Sometimes, the barcode label might be curved, or the lighting condition, will affect the scanning result.  As the VIN late is attached to a car body or behind a windshield, the surface might be dirty and might affect the scanning result as well.

The test did not that scanning in landscape mode gave a faster scanning result.

I noticed on my car, the VIN on the door was slightly curved.  I cleaned the VIN, used landscape mode, and I was able to scan consistently.  Only once (out of 10+ times), it did not scan.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.