Thank you for your post.
Reading that a VIN is Code 39, I initially set my script step to only scan Code 39. Like you, I was unable to make this work. I then changed to all codes, and ONCE out of 20+ attempts, I was able to make it work.
I see that your file was also set to all codes, and although my button was calling a script, I got the same results as you.
I have sent your file along with my findings to our Development and Testing departments for review. When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.
Thank you. That is the same rate of success my customer was experiencing before switching to CNS barcode.
Just checking to see you have heard anything on this bug.
Testing used an iPhone 6 Plus and iPad Air 2 on two cars (Mazda and Acura) without any issues. They also recently tested with an iPad 3 and iPhone 5. Two factors should be considered:
1. The camera type. The newer devices have better cameras. Front and back cameras from the same device can give you different scanning results.
2. The scanning environment. Sometimes, the barcode label might be curved, or the lighting condition, will affect the scanning result. As the VIN late is attached to a car body or behind a windshield, the surface might be dirty and might affect the scanning result as well.
The test did not that scanning in landscape mode gave a faster scanning result.
I noticed on my car, the VIN on the door was slightly curved. I cleaned the VIN, used landscape mode, and I was able to scan consistently. Only once (out of 10+ times), it did not scan.