12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2016 7:42 AM by rgordon

Page breaks: Why this trouble in preview mode?

Palvereng

I have a solution which combines several text fields into one (large) text field that most often exceeds one page. It is followed by a portal containing images. Works fine, except for one thing; Page breaks that divides images in two halves and let single textlines stand alone on top or bottom of a page. When exporting to pdf´s containing f.e. 150 pages, it is quite a job to "clean up the mess" in Adobe Acrobat.

Anyone that have a good solution to this?

I use the "sliding up"- option, and each record is from 1 to 2-3 pages long.

I am aware that Filemaker is not a text editor, but I wish it could offer better control over page breaks than it does right now. Then it could be a really useful report-generator.

• 1. Re: Page breaks: Why this trouble in preview mode?
          Vaughan

Try very, very hard not to print portals. Print from the related table (in your case the images table) so each image is a separate record in the found set on the Body part, and put the "parent" data into leading and trailing grand summary parts.

Extremely good results can be achieved from FileMaker, but there are limits to what it can do. Try to learn the limits and design within them (rather than always want for more). If you need widow/orphan control or other advanced features, export the data to a word processing or proper publishing application.

• 2. Re: Page breaks: Why this trouble in preview mode?
            Palvereng

I will try out your advice, and see how that goes. I do not use summary parts in my present solution.

I haven´t thought about widow/orphan control as advanced features, but maybe it is? Presenting results in a pdf-report is perhaps oldfashioned, but is what we do a lot in our company. To be able to create that report directly from Filemaker, without needing to "repair" it in a word processing application, would lower the costs.

• 3. Re: Page breaks: Why this trouble in preview mode?
              Vaughan

FileMaker also allows pdfs to be appended, so it's possible to automate a process where pages are generated from different tables and layouts and saved into the one pdf. In theory the pages could possibly appended to an existing template. The limitation is that each new part must be a whole page, but that can be made to work.

• 4. Re: Page breaks: Why this trouble in preview mode?
                marty72

It would be great if the PDF append option came to iOS devices. I suspect this is not a FM limitation but an iOS limitiation?

• 5. Re: Page breaks: Why this trouble in preview mode?
                  rgordon

Vaughan is giving you great advice.  I'm assuming that you have two tables (Text table and a Picture table).  If you want this to be a continuous report use a Sub-summary for the Text and the body should be the Picture.  You will need to come up with a Sort field that will allow you to put the records in the order you want.  Allow the Text to cross page breaks in the Sub-summary but don't allow the Pictures to cross a page break.  If you want the Text to always start as a new page, check the sub-summary to page break before each occurrence.

• 6. Re: Page breaks: Why this trouble in preview mode?
                    pokerbear

I have the same issues with a report I produce.  This is my first Filemaker DB development - but it's taken over our department, and all our techs use iPads now to do their field reports.  Unfortunately, one of the downsides is that their pictures break at the page breaks.

How could I use a Sub-summary part for a portal that is mostly a container (photo) field and a photo description.  I think I've tried that, and I don't think it worked.  I think I got blanks.  I did use the Trailing Grand Summary for a different portal, and that works for my report.

Any help/input would be appreciated.

[Why can't filemaker just allow more types of body parts with more data control.  Seems like a giant constraint.  What good is incredible data collection without reporting.]  

• 7. Re: Page breaks: Why this trouble in preview mode?
                      rgordon

As previously stated you should not try to print a portal when pages are sliding and crossing page breaks.  You can put multiple sub-summary on a layout which can give you a lot of flexibility in preventing objects from splitting across page breaks.

• 8. Re: Page breaks: Why this trouble in preview mode?
                        pokerbear

rgordon - thanks for the direction.  If you have time, can you give me some additional info.  When I use sub summary part, I just get blank pages.  Not sure how to set it up to display my portal.  it is a one to many relationship (one report to many photos).  There is no field to summarize.  It doesn't like my portal.  Not sure about how to make the workaround print the portal.

Any help appreciated.

• 9. Re: Page breaks: Why this trouble in preview mode?
                          rgordon

you are not going to get the portal to print. You need to print the report from the picture table layout. Use list view. You can add additional text by using grand summaries and sub-summaries.

• 10. Re: Page breaks: Why this trouble in preview mode?
                            Vaughan

To make the sub-summary part display, sort the found set by the break field (the field the sub-summary references).

Sub-summary parts may not be applicable in your case, but they are used when the records need to be categorised.

• 11. Re: Page breaks: Why this trouble in preview mode?
                              Vaughan

pokerbear wrote:

[Why can't filemaker just allow more types of body parts with more data control.  Seems like a giant constraint.  What good is incredible data collection without reporting.]  

As you have said, this is your first FileMaker development. Don't blame the tool. Become a better developer.

• 12. Re: Page breaks: Why this trouble in preview mode?
                                rgordon

Here is a sample file that shows how to keep your pictures from splitting across a page break.  It uses a Leading Grand Summary and prints from the table containing the pictures.