5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2016 8:13 AM by BruceHerbach

FM14 script workspace bug?

bigtom

So I found myself needing a long script and ran into an issue with the Script Workspace (SW).

The SW has the nice type ahead feature which I like. First problem with it is that you cannot add anything in the middle of an existing script. You have to click in the open space below the script to get the type ahead feature. Annoying but understandable.

So what happens when your script reaches the bottom of the screen? There is no more empty space below the script to click in to get the type ahead. The only way to add script steps from this point on it to use the side menu and that slows development down. When doing so the last step get difficult to deal with. I have a big iMac. People developing on a MacBookPro must get upset faster.

I tried making a new script and then copy pasting at the bottom of the original. This works so the script development can go a little faster, but it sure is annoying. When you set variable with a Let the script takes up two line in the SW. I am getting to about 30 steps before I am running out of space. On my MacBookPro I might see only 15-20.

I would call this an interface bug for sure. Can you confirm? Has this already been reported?

• 1. Re: FM14 script workspace bug?
          siplus

I am not able to replicate your issue. I click on the last line and I can type <return> and create empty lines at my will.

When the cogwheel symbol is blue, pressing return will continue asking for parameters. Pressing cmd-return will turn the cogwheel gray and move to the next line.

• 2. Re: FM14 script workspace bug?
            Vaughan

My only annoyance is that I click into a blank "comment" line and start typing, only to discover it's not a comment and the text disappears.

• 3. Re: FM14 script workspace bug?
              bigtom

siplus wrote:

I am not able to replicate your issue. I click on the last line and I can type <return> and create empty lines at my will.

I am sure you can replicate the issue. You just have another way around it. <return> adds lines in the middle which is nice.

The other thing that works is clicking on the #comment  script a bunch of times without adding a comment and this will add a bunch of empty lines.

I should have watched a video on the new features of the SW. This has been annoying me for a while. I guess its a non issue now.

• 4. Re: FM14 script workspace bug?
                siplus

see my edit to the answer:

When the cogwheel symbol is blue, pressing return will continue asking for parameters. Pressing cmd-return will turn the cogwheel gray and move to the next line.

(I don't use the FM14 editor, because as I stated many times, after 20+ years of having the parameters on the left, I can't stand having them on the right, without being able to customise this oddity).

I am just much faster using the v13 script window. (Must be connected to me being an old fart).

I just type 2 x tab so that I'm in the script steps pane and I type what I'm looking for, like "Enter br" then <return> and here it is, the script step I wanted: Enter browse mode, right into my script.

• 5. Re: FM14 script workspace bug?
                  BruceHerbach

I have done the same thing.  I try to remember to hit # first so I create a new comment.  When I don't I copy the text then create a comment and paste the text in.

Going back to the original post.  I always try to leave a few blank lines after the last line in a script.  I have found the shift enter seems to always create a blank like above the line I'm on even when enter opens the line for editing.  So you can create a few blank lines above the last line then drag the last line up.

HTH