4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2016 8:50 PM by databuzz

Restart FMS14, database opening 9 clients logged in

itraining

QUESTION:

Please see the attached screenshot.

Is this just an interface glitch with the Admin Console or is something more sinister going on here?

BACKGROUND:

Yesterday I responded to a post about the performance and stability of FMS14.

The verdict: the FileMaker 14 platform gets the big thumbs up.

Unfortunately, I forgot to touch wood while typing such optimistic praise.

Today, our FMS14 crashed for the first time, since it began operation in September 2015.

Restart and recovery appears to be OK. Clients are logging back into the main database and apparently getting on with their business. However, the Admin Console (running in Google Chrome, Windows 7 x64 bit) still reports the database as Opening, despite 9 people logged in. I successfully logged in and completed simple tasks like find, list, sort and logged out.

Is this just an interface glitch with the Admin Console or is something more sinister going on here?

The database has been "Opening" for the past 30 minutes, despite logging out/in of the Admin Console multiple times to ensure a refresh.

Thanks in advance.

Michael Richards

Brisbane (Australia)

OPENING 9 clients logged in.JPG

• 1. Re: Restart FMS14, database opening 9 clients logged in
          taylorsharpe

I've seen this happen a number of times.  It won't clear itself up until you restart the FM service when this happens.  It is like the Admin console looses the ability to update itself.  I'm guessing something is wrong with java and it is not updating. 

One thing to be aware of is that FileMaker Server is fairly particular about the version of Java it uses.  It is recommended to stick with the version that comes with the latest FileMaker install and not to get ahead of it because that will be the one that FileMaker was tested for. 

By the way, you said Admin Console running on Windows 7.  I assume that is a client machine and not the server.  FileMaker really needs to be on a server OS. 

• 2. Re: Restart FMS14, database opening 9 clients logged in
            itraining

Thanks for the prompt, informative and useful reply Taylor.

Much appreciated.

Client machine is correct for Admin Console.

Server is Windows 12 (I think). Centralised IT don't tell us much anymore.

Michael Richards

Brisbane (Australia)

• 3. Re: Restart FMS14, database opening 9 clients logged in
              itraining

One more thing Taylor.

Your observation about Java is a good one.

We have asked the IT people to upgrade the server this weekend.

Currently it is running FMS 14.0.2 and the 14.0.4a patch does update Java.

Software patch for FileMaker Server 14.0.4a

This software provides security fixes for FileMaker Server 14.0.4:

• Updates the third-party component OpenSSL.
              • Updates the third-party component Java to Java 8 Update 66, including a critical patch update.
              • OS X El Capitan version 10.11: Addressed an issue where scripts using the Insert From URL script step returned an SSL certificate error.

IMPORTANT: If you apply this software patch to your FileMaker Server 14 installation, you will enhance the security of your server. But with this patch applied, if you enable the Use SSL for database connections setting in Admin Console, clients using FileMaker Pro 12 or FileMaker Go 12 will no longer be able to connect to solutions hosted by your server. Follow the uninstall instructions below if you need to uninstall the patch to allow FileMaker 12 clients to connect.

• 4. Re: Restart FMS14, database opening 9 clients logged in
                databuzz

Hi Michael,

Sometimes you just need to restart the Admin Server itself via the command line - you'll need access to the server itself to do this however:

fmsadmin  RESTART ADMINSERVER

That often clears up issues with the Admin Console without having to do a full restart.

cheers,

Andrew