6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2016 9:11 PM by dbail22@comcast.net

Prevent Thumbnails from being created

dbail22@comcast.net

How do you prevent thumbnails from being created when a container has a PDF?  Dragging or dropping or inserting a PDF into a container creates two files; a PNG and a JPG.  They take from 80k to 150k per file and I do not need or want them.  I cannot imagine scanning 10,000 PDF documents for storage and ending up with 30,000 files and an lot more storage.

I have unchecked generating and storing thumbnails.  These do not seem to be thumbnails as they are full size (letter) and 72DPI.  If you manually delete these files then you get an error message in any container.  The containers are set for PDF files.

????

• 1. Re: Prevent Thumbnails from being created
          keywords

As I understand it, when you use external storage to store a PDF (either drag and drop or Insert PDF), FM stores the pdf itself and also creates a jpg and a png of the first page of the pdf which it uses to display an image rather than an icon. The only way you can defeat this that I am aware of is use Insert File instead, in which case only the pdf will be stored, but all you will see is a named icon—if that suits you, then go ahead.

If you uncheck generate and store thumbnails, then wherever you wish to display the field FM will have to display the jpg or png itself, rather than creating a thumbnail of a suitable size for that particular field instance—in other words, doing things they way it was done prior to this feature being added. The option of permanent or temporary storage is merely for internal use; if temporary is selected, then FM will delete the thumbnail it made for that layout when you leave the layout, then make it again when you come back; if permanent is chosen it might inflate the file size a little, but it will probably speed up display time as the TN will not have to be generated on the fly. Each has its place, and you can choose which suits you better.

Both external storage and thumbnails are features added to improve performance, so why not use them?

• 2. Re: Prevent Thumbnails from being created
            dbail22@comcast.net

Unfortunately this extra space is also taken if the file is stored internally.  This new feature is a horrible process IMHO.  I do not need any smaller views of documents so thumbnails are also a waste of space.  The additional files also take an average of 40% more space than a multi page (4-5) PDF.  In the case of one page the extra images are about 1.3 times the size of the PDF.   Looking towards more than 10,000 scans I am not willing to accept 30,000 files and more GB of space.  Before I give up I will see if I can scan to a folder and use a web viewer to display the files.

• 3. Re: Prevent Thumbnails from being created
              keywords

Note, as stated in my previous post, if you use Insert File there are no image files generated. But note also the downside—all you see is an icon.

• 4. Re: Prevent Thumbnails from being created
                dbail22@comcast.net

Should have been more clear.  Only view needed is of full size PDF with interaction that allows saving, printing, viewing multiple pages at once, exporting.  All of the things that the interaction mode allows. Just not the unwanted unwanted overhead and triple the files that comes with it.  Thanks for the responses.

• 5. Re: Prevent Thumbnails from being created
                  keywords

Re: "Only view needed is of full size PDF with interactionnot the unwanted unwanted overhead and triple the files that comes with it"

Perhaps I too could have been more clear. It is the extra jpg and png files that enable the pdf interaction. You can't have one without the other. That's just how it is.

• 6. Re: Prevent Thumbnails from being created
                    dbail22@comcast.net

We were both clear on that.  That is why that approach will not work.   I am now working on calculated web view objects that have none of those problems.  Thanks again.