1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2016 1:24 PM by Charlesdh

Linking images

Charlesdh

Hi,

This may have been answered. But, being a "Newbie" I'm confused.

I'm using the "FMExample file for "Landscape" to test linking Images. I created the "Container" field, but it did not transfer the Images.

If it's possible can someone provide a "Step by Step" procedure for this? With out script if possible.

I would greatly appreciate it.

Charles

PS I know about the Drag and Drop. But if I have hundred's of images. This would be very time consuming.

• 1. Re: Linking images
          keywords

If you change the storage settings for a container field you will be presented with the following dialog:

Screen Shot 2016-03-12 at 11.09.00 am.png

When you click Transfer, FM will create the necessary folders and process the storage for you. It doesn't move the linked images from their original location, but rather copies them into its own storage directory. From then on the original linked images are irrelevant as far as FM is concerned.

• 2. Re: Linking images
            Charlesdh

keywords,

Thanks for the reply. I did as you suggested and it did transfer. However it only transferred 1 Image. And, there are more than 1.

Charles

• 3. Re: Linking images
              bigtom

You need to do this for each container and it should apply to all images in that container across all records.

• 4. Re: Linking images
                Charlesdh

Thanks for the reply bigtom.

Will I need a "Container" for each Image?

If so this will be cumbersome to create. And, too If I understand you still need populating the "Container" with the image.

At lease this is what I see on various videos about this subject.

But, as mentioned I'm learning FM. Ideally what I want to do is instead of manually populating the "Container" I would like to have it populated when the file opens. The Image file is in a serve, or in my case it's in a file on hard drive.

What I see is I need to populate the layout with a field with "myimage.jpg". And this in turn will look for the "Image" in the Image file.

I know I can do this with "Excel". But, am wanting to do the same in "FM".

Charles

• 5. Re: Linking images
                  bigtom

FileMaker is different than Excel. In Excel you can provide a link and it renders an image of the image. In FM it is not really the same kind of link to you get in Excel. It is more directly the "actual" image store in the container.

Where are the images now?  There is a lot of power in FM scripts and you will need to be familiar with the simpler ones. I am assuming they are in your computer or network somewhere and you have inserted a link to the image in a field.

More information about what you have going on now and where exactly you want to be would help us help you.

If you have a bunch of photos you need in FileMaker you will likely need to use a script at some point to get it done fast. It is not very difficult.

• 6. Re: Linking images
                    Charlesdh

bigtom,

Thanks for the reply.

The "Image" file is stored on my computer.

Currently I'v watched numerous videos about "FM". I worked with the examples to see if I could modify it to suit

My goal is loading and showing the Images for a particular product.

As mentioned I know "Excel". But, am wanting to expand my knowledge to include "FM".

At some point in time I would like to help other users as I do with Excel.

Any help would be grateful. Also if you know of a "Book" or "Tutorial" that would help.

Charles

Am "73". But, still wanting to learn!

• 7. Re: Linking images
                      Magnus Fransson

Hi Charles,

I may be reading you wrong, but to me it seems you need to be Importing a folder of files all at once. See the link for more information.

Best regards Magnus Fransson.

• 8. Re: Linking images
                        Charlesdh

fran55on,

Thanks for the reply. I did as you indicated. The Images were populated to a container. Not sure if thats correct or what I need. However, my goal is to link each Image to a product. (SKU).

What I'm looking for is when I create a "New" record "FM" will populate the Image associated with the "SKU".

I've watched "GuyStevens" tutorial. However he has you selecting the Image file. This almost what I need.

What I need it to have "FM" look for the Images and populate the container.

Any example would probably help.

Thanks

Charles

• 9. Re: Linking images
                          bigtom

If you have only one image you can put it on the SKU record.

But ideally you you just have a relationship between a Product table and an Image table. The tables should be related by a special key and not the SKU.

How does FM know where to look?

• 10. Re: Linking images
                            keywords

Charlesdh wrote:

… What I'm looking for is when I create a "New" record "FM" will populate the Image associated with the "SKU" … What I need it to have "FM" look for the Images and populate the container.

Are you seriously suggesting that you expect FM to know what image you want loaded into a particular container field in a new from OUTSIDE the database?

• 11. Re: Linking images
                              Charlesdh

keywords,

No I do not expect "FM" to know. But, as a example for a Image 2 Fields will hold the info  "15DU1151" for product Field and "20543" for the Image field. But, I know that I will need to concatenate the 2 fields as "15DU1151_20543".  These Images will be in file for Images.

I was looking at "Relations". But, the Images and Products will each have their own "Id" number. And from what I can see I'll need to know which "Product Id" goes with the "Image Id". And, there a lot of Images.

There may be a more elaborate relation that can be set up. But, I for one am  not that familiar with compound relations.

Hopefully this helps.

Charles

• 12. Re: Linking images
                                keywords

Charlesdh wrote:

Images and Products will each have their own "Id" number. And from what I can see I'll need to know which "Product Id" goes with the "Image Id"

All you need to do to accomplish this is add a join table, into which you will post the relevant ImageID from the Image table, and ProductID from the Product table, matching these two fields to set up the relationship. See attached Demo file.

• 13. Re: Linking images
                                  Charlesdh

Thanks. I take a look tomorrow. Bed time for this old man..lol

• 14. Re: Linking images
                                    Charlesdh

keywords,

Thanks for the sample. I'll see if I can incorporate this to my test file.

Charles

1 2 Previous Next