8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2016 8:47 AM by synergy46

FM 14.0.5 Value List omits one entry...

synergy46

My membership app runs only on my desktop PC. 

I created this VL:

MeetingMemberVL.PNG

It works.... except it has one name whereby it returns ONLY the KP.  If I select a different name, it returns the name.

meetingMemberValuelistCorrup.png

It is ONLY one name that causes this.  Every other name works.

I turned off INDEXING and EVERY field showed just the KP.  Then I turned it back on to ALL and the VL went back to it's previous behavior.

I recreated the VL and acts the same without change.

What should I try next?

The record in the main table looks ok.  All reports and appearances on other layouts look ok.

• 1. Re: FM 14.0.5 Value List omits one entry...
          TSGal

synergy46:

Thank you for your post.

I don't have enough information to determine the cause.

When you say "KP", can I assume this is "Members TOC::KP_MemberID"?

I'm assuming the Value List is set to show the secondary field (Members TOC::cName_LastFirstMI).  Correct?

If you perform a Find in the "Members TOC::KP_MemberID" for 143, is there only one record found?  If so, delete the contents of the Last Name, First Name and Middle Initial fields and retype the entries.  If there is more than one record found for 143, then delete the record that may not have any data in the First Name, Last Name and Middle Initial fields.

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down the possible cause.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FM 14.0.5 Value List omits one entry...
            synergy46

Yes, it is set tyo show the "second' field.

I deleted and recreated the 'offending' record and doing that restored the value list.

But, I am perplexed on 'why' that record became corrupted and ONLY showed the corruption in the value list?

What could I have done to cause this?  (I started developing this app with FM 9 and have been using the same set of 'sample records' since then.

Thanks for the reply

Ron

• 3. Re: FM 14.0.5 Value List omits one entry...
              TSGal

synergy46:

Without seeing the original file with the data, it is difficult to determine what caused the corruption.  The corruption may have been nothing you did.

Thinking that the issue may have been caused by an extraneous control-characters (which are easy to accidentally enter), I experimented entering data with control characters embedded into a field, but I was unable to replicate your symptoms.

Since the value list appears to be working again, let me know if you run into any further issues with the value list.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FM 14.0.5 Value List omits one entry...
                synergy46

I have the file, in  it's corrupted format, if you want me to send you the

link?  Just let me know.

Thanks for your reply and efforts.

• 5. Re: FM 14.0.5 Value List omits one entry...
                  TSGal

synergy46:

Yes, I would like to look at the bad file.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FM 14.0.5 Value List omits one entry...
                    TSGal

synergy46:

I received your file.  Thank you.

It took me some time to find which fields were being used, and I noticed the field in question is not a Calculation field, but an Auto-Enter calculation.  This means the field once displayed the correct calculation, but since the field is editable, a value was placed in the field which then overrides the calculation.  To activate the calculation again, just change one letter in either the First Name, Middle Name or Last Name fields.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FM 14.0.5 Value List omits one entry...
                      synergy46

Thank you very much for that insight.

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out a way to prevent a user

from clicking into the DropDown and writing over the Key field.  The best

idea I have found is (on the internet, of course) to open a new window

which has the DropDown on it.

Is there a 'native' filemaker way keep the user out of the Key field ?

(In retrospect I probably caused the existing problem when trying to figure

out how to remedy this 'key' situation.

Thanks again

Ron

• 8. Re: FM 14.0.5 Value List omits one entry...
                        synergy46

I got an answer to the 'prevent a user from accessing the DropDown Key from

the forum

Just shrink the Key field to the size of the down arrow.....   Beautifully

simple.

Thanks again Loretta.  You are continue to be a star..!

Ron