1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2016 11:16 AM by schamblee

[SDK] "Opening Files, Slide to cancel"

sfpx

Any way to remove that dialog box/message at the bottom when the app loads the local database file which is the solution file ?

Canceling the opening of the database file makes no sense in that context .

It's like the app offering the chance to not open at launch.

It's not a huge deal but would love to have it disappear.

• 1. Re: [SDK] "Opening Files, Slide to cancel"
          schamblee

I don't get a message at the bottom when my app loads.  Can you post a screen shot?  I'm sure there is a way to disable it.

• 2. Re: [SDK] "Opening Files, Slide to cancel"
            sfpx

I think that you only get that dialog if the solution file is big enough so it takes more than 1-2 seconds to open.

From the following thread

'Slide to Cancel' window

The "Slide to Cancel" is as designed, as this gives the  opportunity for the user to cancel opening the file.  This could be due to many files being linked together and taking a long time to open, or simply the person selected the wrong file to open.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

I understand the use of this dialog in a standard Filemaker Go use but in case of an app, the database is the app itself so if I launch the app I don't want to cancel the database opening.

• 3. Re: [SDK] "Opening Files, Slide to cancel"
              schamblee

That post is 6 years and it is from about the time FMGo was first introduced. 

I have never seen that when an app launches on ios.  The only time I have I seen the red "slide to cancel" bar is when using the location script step.  If you set the accuracy to a small number and the timeout to a large number then it will display the red cancel bar. 

My iosSDKapp database shows the launch icon until the main screen displays and  no red cancel bar is displayed.

• 4. Re: [SDK] "Opening Files, Slide to cancel"
                sfpx

This may be an old post but it's still relevant today. You don't see it because your solution loads fast enough.

It appears only if FMGO thinks it takes too much time to open the file.

My file probably takes 3-5 seconds to open on my old iphone 5.

What slows down the opening time is the number of table occurrences.

So anyway this dialog, similar to the location one you mentioned seems to be an under the hood thing that can only be disabled in the sdk source code .

• 5. Re: [SDK] "Opening Files, Slide to cancel"
                  CarlSchwarz

I still see it when opening up remote files (on an iPhone 4S FMGo 14).

• 6. Re: [SDK] "Opening Files, Slide to cancel"
                    RickWhitelaw

I would be surprised if a large number of table occurrences would slow down the opening process. My hosted solution has hundreds of table occurences and loads really quickly on computer or iPad. Mind you this is not a standalone app. The number of records loaded at startup as well as the number of unstored calculations that need to be resolved can slow things down but in my experience having many skinny tables is faster that just a few wide ones.

• 7. Re: [SDK] "Opening Files, Slide to cancel"
                      schamblee

There are not too many people still using the iPhone 4s, I have one I can test but I have to go find it .  I have not seen it on any iPhone 5 or above except with the location script step.  

• 8. Re: [SDK] "Opening Files, Slide to cancel"
                        CarlSchwarz

I still get it on an iPhone 5S

I have an app hosted remotely that turns off all menu bars etc (which means you can't close the file).  If I force quit FMGo and then re-open it then the slide to cancel dialogue appears.

It may be because there is no close option that FMGo has slide to cancel, or it may be that there is a delay when opening the remote file.  Though I would have to assume it is because of the delay.

• 9. Re: [SDK] "Opening Files, Slide to cancel"
                          schamblee

I believe that is normal operation, like it is with the location script.  It is attempting to reconnect to the host, so it is given you the option to cancel.  I did forget about it appearing then too.   The OP was stating his issue is when he starts his local database the red bars appears in the loading of the database which I have not seen on any device.

I believe the red bar is normal under certain circumstances, but loading your database should not be one of those.

• 10. Re: [SDK] "Opening Files, Slide to cancel"
                            sfpx

RickWhitelaw wrote:

I would be surprised if a large number of table occurrences would slow down the opening process. My hosted solution has hundreds of table occurences and loads really quickly on computer or iPad. Mind you this is not a standalone app. The number of records loaded at startup as well as the number of unstored calculations that need to be resolved can slow things down but in my experience having many skinny tables is faster that just a few wide ones.

That's funny because we had this discussion 1.5 years ago on another forum

How to improve offline opening time ? - FileMaker Go for iPhone & iPad - FMForums.com

From my tests, the number of occurrences (or relations? ) has an impact on loading time even if your file starts on a totally unrelated table with no unstored calculation.

But that's another debate...

I just tested my solution on my Ipad 2 mini ...the database opens quite fast (barely 1 second)...but I still get the Slide to cancel box very briefly ( too briefly to actually slide to cancel).

• 11. Re: [SDK] "Opening Files, Slide to cancel"
                              sfpx

schamblee wrote:

I believe the red bar is normal under certain circumstances, but loading your database should not be one of those.

If I had to guess I would think that Filemaker looks at the overall structure of the database with it opens a file (maybe it builds a list of all the tables/occurrences/relations) . The more relations you have, the more time it will take to finish that operation. And it has to do this stuff even if you start on a lonely table with no relation.

If I remove 80% of my occurrences , keeping only one occurrence for each table, I will not get that dialog.

• 12. Re: [SDK] "Opening Files, Slide to cancel"
                                schamblee

My FIAS app takes about a second or two but I don't get the bar, the only item that appears on my screen is the launch logo.

• 13. Re: [SDK] "Opening Files, Slide to cancel"
                                  sfpx

(can't edit posts , the actions menu does not seem to work)

sfpx wrote:

If I had to guess I would think that Filemaker looks at the overall structure of the database when it opens a file

• 14. Re: [SDK] "Opening Files, Slide to cancel"
                                    sfpx

schamblee wrote:

My FIAS app takes about a second or two but I don't get the bar, the only item that appears on my screen is the launch logo.

I can make the bar disappear if I keep only a few occurrences .

For the record my db is 47 MB with

100 tables ,  450 occurrences and 412 relations

1 2 Previous Next