4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2016 9:51 AM by Mike_Mitchell

Dealing with container data and thumbnails

sreese

Greetings and Salutations everyone. I have a couple of things I have been pondering and I was hoping to get some input from the community. I am not certain how FileMaker handles certain scenarios so I was hoping that some advice from everyone would be helpful.

Recently I converted a 1.3 tb file full of container data into a 1.5gb file with 1.2tb of image data created in the File System. This has really helped us with our nightmares. The backup process is much more efficient and nightly now.

Anyhow, as I've looked through the data that was extracted and have eyes for the future on other digital media processes I have begun to wonder how FileMaker handles thumbnails. With web development I would have a process that created a thumbnail from uploaded images and then stored the original high quality photo in a separate spot to only be retrieved when it was absolutely necessary.

I'm not certain how FileMaker presents this data to the end user. Does it send an entire 4+ mb file down to the client for every record viewed, or does it only send a thumbnail?

If the container isn't on the layout does it still download the file like it does the rest of the fields? If it doesn't should I just use a calculation field to make the thumbnail, or am I better off to make the thumbnail automatically and store it to a separate field / table from the original image?

Can you make thumbnails of PDFs natively in FileMaker for windows?

Should I create thumbnails and use a web viewer to bring them up?

The reason I am asking is up until now I haven't really had a reason to store a ton of images into a FileMaker database and have reserved them for websites.

Thank you in advanced for your humor and patience in helping me with these questions.

• 1. Re: Dealing with container data and thumbnails
          Mike_Mitchell

sreese wrote:

I'm not certain how FileMaker presents this data to the end user. Does it send an entire 4+ mb file down to the client for every record viewed, or does it only send a thumbnail?

Neither. And both. 

Container fields are one of the exceptions to the "download every file" behavior. They're downloaded when they're needed.

As to whether it sends a thumbnail, the answer is, "it depends". You have the option to manage thumbnail behavior under File > Manage > Containers:

container.png

If you enable thumbnails, then they're created and sent down to the client. If you don't, the entire image is sent. Permanent thumbnails are stored in the database, to be recalled later. Temporary thumbnails are obviously not stored (per the dialog), but will have to be recreated every session.

If it doesn't should I just use a calculation field to make the thumbnail, or am I better off to make the thumbnail automatically and store it to a separate field / table from the original image?

That's largely up to you. If you need to preserve the original image, as I said, thumbnails can be automatically created by FileMaker. If, for some reason, you wanted to create a thumbnail, then you could use a separate field.

• 2. Re: Dealing with container data and thumbnails
            Mike_Mitchell

Sorry, hit "Reply" too soon.

Can you make thumbnails of PDFs natively in FileMaker for windows?

I'm not sure what that means. A PDF is already a compressed format. Do you mean you want an image of the first page of it or something?

Should I create thumbnails and use a web viewer to bring them up?

You can. Whether you should is a different question. It might be useful to do if, for example, you wanted to access images stored on a different server or something (i.e., not stored in the database). I wouldn't bother if they're already stored in the database.

HTH

Mike

• 3. Re: Dealing with container data and thumbnails
              sreese

Thank you very much for the thoughtful answer Mike. My question was purely based on a stance of ignorance and trying to find enlightenment.

I'm not sure what that means. A PDF is already a compressed format. Do you mean you want an image of the first page of it or something?

Yes, I meant a preview image of the page before opening the image.

• 4. Re: Dealing with container data and thumbnails
                Mike_Mitchell

If you set your container to allow interactive content, FileMaker will automatically preview it for you.