11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2016 9:55 AM by sudha

FM14 query

sudha

Hi all,

I have been doing migration work to transfer the data from Filemaker database files to Oracle.

The filemaker database files are available in .fp7 version where in I have only Filemaker Pro Advanced 14 and not the version 11.

After converting the files from .fp7 to .fp12 using Filemaker Pro Advanced 14 do I can perform all the works(Exports/writing scripts etc.,) without any issues(without affecting the original data content)

Thanks

• 1. Re: FM14 query
          nicolai

Data Types did not change. I think the biggest change was an addition of managed storage in containers.

Export did not change (sadly).

If you only need to export data, you should be fine.

• 2. Re: FM14 query
            coherentkris

agree with Nicolai

• 3. Re: FM14 query
              nicolai

Small thing, scripting did change a bit. New scripts will work with no problem.

You could check the migrated scripts if you intend to use them.

Also, check if solution uses any plugins.

• 4. Re: FM14 query
                dtcgnet

The .fp7 format can be used with FM 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. The .fmp12 format works for versions 12, 13, and 14.

The conversion to .fmp12 usually works right away and you shouldn't have any real problems. Usually. Describe a bit more about the conversions though: was the file a single file solution? were multiple files involved? When you say "without affecting the original data content", what do you mean? The .fp7 data will remain as it was. The .fmp12 file will not need or use the .fp7 file in any way.

• 5. Re: FM14 query
                  sudha

Hi Nicolai,

Can you please confirm whether the existing scripts will cause any issues after the conversion ?

Thanks,

Sudah

• 6. Re: FM14 query
                    sudha

Hi,

It is not a single file which as inter related other filemaker database files as well.

Does the application can be accessed in the same way without any changes in all the aspects ?

Thanks

• 7. Re: FM14 query
                      nicolai
                      Can you please confirm whether the existing scripts will cause any issues after the conversion ?

Based on my experience, you should not have any problem with scripts. Unfortunately, there is no 100% guaranty of that.

As I said, data and data structure will be fine. Calculations usually migrate without problems, unless yo use something like "Evaluate"

The biggest changes were made in the layouts objects and layouts, so it might look odd.

Since you are migrating to Oracle, why are you so concerned about scripts working?

• 8. Re: FM14 query
                        nicolai
                        Does the application can be accessed in the same way without any changes in all the aspects ?

Sure, all file links, interfile relationships should migrate as well. Obviously, you need to make sure you migrate the whole solution

• 9. Re: FM14 query
                          sudha

Hi Nicolai,

I should only be concerned on data and not the scripts.

Can you please tell me Evaluate you mean -> Evaluate from context in the calculation. And why should it cause the problem?

Thanks

• 10. Re: FM14 query
                            nicolai

sudha

Data will be fine.

Evaluate can evaluate a FIleMaker function which is passed to it as a string. If the name of the function has changed in the next version, this function will return an error. The chance of this happening is quite small. Just create DDR and search for Evaluate before you get worried.

Any functions in standard FMP calculations will be auto-migrated by FileMaker.

Nicolai

• 11. Re: FM14 query
                              sudha

Thank you Nicolai