1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2016 11:41 AM by desireemm1

Export into PDF format

desireemm1

Hello I was wondering if the users can export a record into pdf format, I am using filemaker server 14 and Filemaker 14 pro.  I wanted to make a button on the form that will show up in webdirect and allow the users to export a record into pdf format.  Is that possible?  Every time I print on the webpage it shows the scroll bars

thank you

• 1. Re: Export into PDF format
          rgordon

One of the limitations of webdirect is it can not create a PDF.

• 2. Re: Export into PDF format
            Markus Schneider

and can not print..

at the moment, one needs a client machine in the net with a FileMaker client running (so called 'robot') that does create the pdf and store that pdf in a container field or sends that pdf via mail to the user

there is a feature request page here: Product Ideas

• 3. Re: Export into PDF format
              jrenfrew

CORRECTION:

One of the limitations of WebDirect is that it can not create a PDF natively.

And also not quite true on the print....

There are methods like robot machines, but there are also methods using plugins and PDF creation libraries.

My chosen weapon of choice is ScriptMaster with iText, and I have clients who are producing PDF files from WebDirect and Go all the time. It is a non-trivial task but is rock solid, fast, and arguably produces a better quality (regularly smaller) file than any print driver method, and allows all kinds of additional manipulation during or post the production process.

• 4. Re: Export into PDF format

I've also used Java and the 2.x version of iText and created PDFs for free on multiple projects.

iText 2.x is free and open source. (Later versions of iText are not free and are non-starters for developers I know.)

Using the excellent JDBC driver FileMaker includes, it's simple to connect to FileMaker server and create the PDFs.

That's how I would do it.

Using FileMaker with Java

Installing FileMaker JDBC client drivers | FileMaker

QUICK. EASY. FREE.

Best yet: No third party dependencies or possibly expensive server plug-ins.

-- m

• 5. Re: Export into PDF format
                  rgordon

I'm always interested in a better way to PDF.  Can your weapon of choice PDF complex summary reports with sliding or long text reports with sliding and text that crosses multiple page breaks?

• 6. Re: Export into PDF format
                    jrenfrew

Certainly...

If you can describe the structure of the document in words, it can be created form scratch with code....

john

• 7. Re: Export into PDF format
                      jrenfrew

Morkus.

All versions of iText are open source - in the sense that you ( or I, as I have done in a couple of places) can contribute to the project, or amend or build your own from source code.

2.x not costed, different thing

And while apparently free, not actually free of of potent lP challenges for the code being used.

5.x on also not costed if you release your project under the same open terms. Or pay to be free from any conditions.

That's why paying for a licence for a version which can free you from that would be  good thing, in my book.

• 8. Re: Export into PDF format

Good points.

For version 2.x, which (documented) "potent IP challenges" are you referring to? I'm not sure that any actual issue would exist in an internal production environment.

But, more importantly, I couldn't release a project as open if it's actually proprietary (source code, business rules not for anyone other than the client, etc.). And, I wouldn't pay $1,000+ for a license when there is a free version available that works fine. Most devs I know still use 2.x. Report zero problems.

So, maybe w just don't agree on how we would handle this and that's OK.

- m

• 9. Re: Export into PDF format
                          jrenfrew

Agreed..

I will be able to offer iText 5.x+ pricing to FMP devs later this year though at much more like €35 a seat though too..

• 10. Re: Export into PDF format

I can offer iText now for thousands of web clients all for free. No expensive per seat costs.

From "iText in Action", 2007k page "xxv": "iText is a Free/Open Source Software Library created by ... protected by the Mozilla Public License (MPL)."

Thus, having to pay $35/seat for FileMaker would make me abandon FileMaker completely for that project. For me, too many other options exist which make me more competitive.

- m

• 11. Re: Export into PDF format
                              monkeybreadsoftware

you can use MBS Plugin with DynaPDF extension to write PDF on server.

While we can't access the layouts, we can still import exiting PDF as background and write text on top.

Or replace text, add tables, add graphics, write formatted text.

see

http://www.monkeybreadsoftware.de/filemaker/

• 12. Re: Export into PDF format

I was actually only recommending that it's good to understand and document the actual requirements and various cases that could arise before trying to code something.  

Bottom-up programming is OK too if requirements don't exist and you need to do "something" to figure something out.

Agile methods might find fault with not just jumping right in, but I would still argue that when you code something, you shouldn't be simultaneously trying to figure it out. (Coding should be the easy part.)

Having even slightly more rigorous development methods yields dramatically better results in my experience.

- m

• 13. Re: Export into PDF format

"Edit" not currently working for me here.

Typo above, sorry.

From "iText in Action", 2007k page "xxv": "iText is a Free/Open Source Software Library created by ... protected by the Mozilla Public License (MPL)."

Should have been:

From "iText in Action", 2007 page "xxv": "iText is a Free/Open Source Software Library created by ... protected by the Mozilla Public License (MPL)."

• 14. Re: Export into PDF format

Christian,

Do you use the 2.x or 5.x version of the iText plug-in, or do you use some other method to generate PDFs?

- m

1 2 Previous Next