5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2016 1:49 PM by TSGal

SSL SHA-1 dependancies

AlanBrooks

In this article: (http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14169/~/creating-a-new-custom-ssl-certificate-for-filemaker-server) Filemaker requires users to buy SSL Certs with "SHA-2 with SHA-1 Root" hashing algo for use in their Filemaker servers.  While this might be OK for users who do not offer web-based connections, anyone who offers Custom Web Publishing or other web solutions will encounter visiting browsers that do not indicate SHA-1 connections are secure since Google mandated they be refused past December 31st 2015.

When does Filemaker plan to shed the need for SHA-1 dependancies and move completely to SHA-2?

• 1. Re: SSL SHA-1 dependancies
          TSGal

AlanBrooks:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker, Inc. neither speculates nor discusses future products.

I recommend that you also post this to the Product Ideas board at:

Product Ideas

This board is monitored by Product Management and Development.  All entries are discussed and considered for possible implementation in a future release.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: SSL SHA-1 dependancies
            ptfm12

It is unfortunate, but this seems to be the attitude of a number of FileMaker Support staff.  As a consequence, we have just blocked our FileMaker 14 server from the outside world.  ie. it is now being used only for internal clients only.

A sepparate Unix-based web database server will now service our external clients.

• 3. Re: SSL SHA-1 dependancies
              AlanBrooks

Thank you TSGal, I've reposted in Product Ideas but I most definitely see this as more of a "Product Issue" and less of a "great idea." 

SHA-1 SSL certs have been deprecated by Google, Mozilla, Microsoft, etc.  Version 14 should never have included them.

• 4. Re: SSL SHA-1 dependancies
                fperez

Are you kidding me... I just paid quite a chunk of money for my certificate through Thawte and I have web direct and I cannot login from any web-browser. It shows the index.html page I created but once it sends the user to the login page a never ending spinning wheel shows.

Is this due to the certificate?

I did a Get(ConnectionState) and it shows 2

I also use Get(ConnectionAttributes) and I can see

[ Peer Certificate ]

commonName: cases.siucentral.com

CA Issuers: thawte DV SSL CA - G2

but on both my FM clients and GO I get the black padlock.

What can I do?????

• 5. Re: SSL SHA-1 dependancies
                  TSGal

fperez:

When you purchased the Thawte certificate, you should have selected "Use SHA-256 for the certificate and SHA-1 for the root CA" for Signature hash algorithm during purchase of the certificate.  This is described in more detail under Knowledge Base Article #11413 "List of supported SSL certificate types and vendors for FileMaker platform".

List of supported SSL certificate types and vendors for FileMaker platform | FileMaker

Contact Thawte directly to get the correct certificate.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.