7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2016 5:24 AM by MikeWile

extend found set

MikeWile

I have a table occurence based on Discipline. When I enter the layout, it shows only the matching disciplines. I then constrain the set to find a "Status." It's fine up to here. I only see Disciplines (which is Automotive) with the chosen status (Production).

What I'd like to do next is find all records with the chosen discipline, ignoring status, and find a date range. When I use "Extend Found Set" and enter the date "3/1/2016..3/15/2016" I am seeing records that are outside the Discipline. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I can't understand why records that don't match the relationship of the TO show up in the layout.

• 1. Re: extend found set
          alecgregory

What I'd like to do next is find all records with the chosen discipline, ignoring status, and find a date range.

Makes sense

When I use "Extend Found Set" and enter the date "3/1/2016..3/15/2016" I am seeing records that are outside the Discipline.

Also makes sense, Extend Found Set can't do what you want. How would it know that you want to ignore status but not discipline?

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

You're using Extend Found Set to do something that Extend Found Set can't do. Try running a whole new find which includes the chosen discipline and the date range. That should give you the result you need unless I'm misunderstanding something in your requirement. If you don't want to have to enter the discipline again in this find you could use a scripted find or a script trigger to populate the Discipline appropriately.

I can't understand why records that don't match the relationship of the TO show up in the layout.

Layouts based on a TO will always have the ability to show all records for the the TO's base table. The particular TO chosen is only relevant when you are viewing or accessing data in related tables, that's when the relationship graph comes into play.

• 2. Re: extend found set
            thomas_staehli

If I understand you correctly, you need to use "Constrain Found Set" instead of "Extend Found Set". This will perform the search of the specified dates within the current found set instead of searching through the entire database.

• 3. Re: extend found set
              alecgregory

Thomas Staehli wrote:

If I understand you correctly, you need to use "Constrain Found Set" instead of "Extend Found Set". This will perform the search of the specified dates within the current found set instead of searching through the entire database.

Constrain Found Set won't work as the user wants to ignore the Status constraint in the existing found set while retaining the Discipline constraint. Neither Constrain or Extend Found Set are able to do this. A new find is required.

• 4. Re: extend found set
                MikeWile

The problem I have is that someone else designed the original layout. The discipline field is a checkbox type. The user can check up to 30 different disciplines. I set it so that, if any of the checked boxes in the "combined discipline field" of table 1 match the discipline field in the current table, those records would show. In order to run a new find, I'd have to break the disciplines apart and run 30 different finds.

• 5. Re: extend found set
                  MikeWile

I did the finds and then created a looping script to delete the records that don't match the "combined discipline field." That seemed to work.

• 6. Re: extend found set
                    alecgregory

I see. That's managable. Is the user manually entering the date criteria or is it part of a scripted find?

• 7. Re: extend found set
                      MikeWile

The only thing the user does is selects the disciplines they'd like to see reported and then clicks a "generate report" button. The looping script works well. I just thought, mistakenly as you pointed out, that only related records would show on a layout.