5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2017 12:58 PM by Storganise

Cannot start server console in FMS 14.0.4.412 windows

hugall1998

Hi all, this is perhaps a familiar topic...

I have a dedicated windows server 2012 for a windows FMS version 14.04.412 and java version 8 update 60, which should according to filemaker specs be the correct one. The windows server was restarted accidentally and upon restart the FMS server console was not working normally (yellow banners appeared when clicking on the Activity tab). I made one clean reinstall (cleaned all files, c++, java, microsoft etc and fm according to guidelines from filem.) but to no avail as after the reinstall I cannot  start the web console at all, either with chrome or IE browser.  The message I get from the browser is "The Database Server is not available. To edit server deployment, please start the Database Server first."

I had to take an unwelcome crash course in the command line prompt and found out I could open and close file etc and such so I'm fortunately not in dire straits.  However I could not start the console (the command fmsadmin setup fmwebsite did no do the trick).  I would rather use the console if possible.

I have dug through all the threads to no useful avail.

My question is two fold:

a) how can I whip this server to obey and show me the console, what am I missing ?    

and

b) can I do all the necessary things through the console, i.e. create backup schedules, set username/pw (which I cannot setup through the console) etc.?

Many thanks for you help.

• 1. Re: Cannot start server console in FMS 14.0.4.412 windows
          ch0c0halic

hugall1998,

Just a guess from my inexperience. You probably have port issues.

From my limited experience with Windows (of any version) 2012 you have to turn on the FMS specific ports and/or turn off the firewall. When we deploy a new Win2012 server our systems admin has to first specifically turn on all the FMS ports. For example the Admin console uses port 16001. But, a new install of Win2012 has it turned off. Windows seems to now be overly protective of port usage and requires the system admin to set these things manually.

There are a lot of ports used by FMS for either internal or external communications. I advise you to read the Knowledge base article on the subject and know exactly which ports you need for your 1 or 2 machine deployment.

• 2. Re: Cannot start server console in FMS 14.0.4.412 windows
            planteg

Hi,

not sure if that helps, but FMS is very picky on Java version. One thing you may do is check if the installed version is Ok according to FMS requirements.

• 3. Re: Cannot start server console in FMS 14.0.4.412 windows
              hugall1998

Thank you, planteg and ch0ch0halic for you advice, although it did not help me.  I tried a complete reinstall again with the same results. When I try to start the web console it gives me the same message.

Actually, I may be able to live without the console as the I've found out that by using the command line most actions can be performed. I even managed to make a backup directly (fmsadmin backup myfile.fmp12)   Now I only need to learn the parameters for regular backups. I guess that ought to be in a separate thread.

many thanks for your help.

• 4. Re: Cannot start server console in FMS 14.0.4.412 windows
                hugall1998

Hi all - ISSUE SOLVED !

I have been in cooperation with filemaker support over this strange issue.  I asked my tech personnel to help me find a system file that FM support asked for and they encountered this:

When running msinfo32 we noticed that the WMI (windows management instruction, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Management_Instrumentation) repository was corrupt.

C:\windows\system32\wbem\repository.

We stopped the winmgmt (windows management) service and renamed the repository folder (to make it inactive)

The restarted the winmgmt.  New repository folder was then automatically created.

After the repository folder is recreated you will be asked to enter the  admin console username and password.

Msinfo32 worked and so did Filemaker admin console.

This applies to windows (server 2012RE).  I tested  with the same path (that did not work, see original post) and voila! The admin console is up and running!  All panels of the console are visible and my next job is to rebuild all the schedules.

I expect FM support to confirm this shortly. I hope this will be of help to all those who have reported this and similar issues. Please test in you local enviroment, perhaps other issues will popup.

• 5. Re: Cannot start server console in FMS 14.0.4.412 windows
                  Storganise

HI All,

I am having very similar issues with Windows Server 2012 R2. All was fine until this weekend, when a Windows automatic update, and then a restart caused the Filemaker Admin Console to not be reachable. I assumed it was a port issue, as I had done nothing to change any configurations; all I saw was localhost:16001 not being reachable.

The IT guys here have assured me all ports are open as needed. I have rolled back to before the Windows updates, uninstalled everything, restarted, made sure there was no automatic update after the restart, reinstalled Filemaker Server (15.0.3.383) and still no joy. I have tried the above trick with the Windows Management Service to recreate the repository folder (which it does) but still the same.

I could manage were it not for setting scheduled backups, but to be honest, I don't really want to manage - I want it to work!

Anybody else been through this and able to offer any advice?

Thanks

James