4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2016 3:41 AM by Vaughan

∆/Change/Difference/% - how to on FM

happyez

Hi everyone

A bit of a pickle to be worked out (I've asked my science partner/searched on Google/FM Community) and to no avail so far.

I am not a mathematician (IANAM), so be a bit easy on me.

I have two numbers, and I want to find the % difference between them. Easy. x÷y.

This is so I can show how has the biggest increase, sort it by the percentage (highest is 150%!)

But what if one is 0? 0 => 2 would, in my mind, = 200%. But no, not possible because you are dealing with 0s

So my partner came up with using ∆. You dont worry about what the number is, you just want to know the difference between x and y.

If this is the best way to do it, then my next problem is finding a way to do it in a calculation.

Just putting ∆ field1 / ∆ fieldd or ∆ = field1 / field2 doesnt seem to work.

There must be a calculation that is worded in the Number calculations, but I cant seem to find it..

Anyone have thoughts on this?

• 1. Re: ∆/Change/Difference/% - how to on FM
          Vaughan

happyez wrote:

I have two numbers, and I want to find the % difference between them. Easy. x÷y.

∆ = y - x

% = ( /x ) * 100

Some people wouldn't *100 here, it depends on whether you want the result to be 100 or 1 for 100%.

For the percentage calc it would be prudent to check for x=0 to avoid divide by zero error.

delta_percent =

If( Field1 ≠ 0 ; ( ( Field2 - Field1 ) / Field1 ) * 100 )

If only the magnitude of the delta is needed (don't care about + or -) then use Abs()

If( Field1 ≠ 0 ; ( Abs( Field2 - Field1 ) / Field1 ) * 100 )

If you want to constrain the result to a certain number of decimal places, use Round(). To round to 2 decimal places:

If( Field1 ≠ 0 ; Round( ( ( Field2 - Field1 ) / Field1 ) * 100 ; 2 ) )

• 2. Re: ∆/Change/Difference/% - how to on FM

There are lots of forums that have good math introductions for non-math folks.

Below is one site I found with a five second Google search. 

Percentage Difference

FileMaker is quite capable of using just about any formula you could extract to a polynomial form, trigonometric, logarithmic, exponential, and lots more.

HTH

- m

• 3. Re: ∆/Change/Difference/% - how to on FM
              happyez

Thanks Vaughan

It does indeed work. I tried it out, needed to deal with both Field1 and 2 being 0 (just equalling each other) and it was done. Thank you very much

Morkus - that sounds a bit snarky "a five second Google search", well good for you. Sometimes I get things in five seconds, others not. You just need to have the keywords right, then it comes up. Chill dude

Thanks all

Eric

• 4. Re: ∆/Change/Difference/% - how to on FM
                Vaughan

happyez wrote:

...needed to deal with both Field1 and 2 being 0 (just equalling each other) and it was done.

There is no need to deal with field1 and field 2 being equal, because ∆=0 is a valid result. Only field1 being zero is a problem, and that is trapped for in the calc.

Empty fields, on the other hand, are a different issue: what to do if data is missing. An empty Field1 is trapped for already: you need to decide what to do if Field2 is empty. As it stands the calc will return -100% (since this calc will treat an empty value as zero) which may or may not be appropriate for your circumstances. Returning null (no result) may or may not be better.