themactech.

Get(ActiveFieldName) in portal

Discussion created by themactech. on Mar 21, 2016
Latest reply on Mar 21, 2016 by themactech.

Hi everyone

I'm trying to make my documents preview script more dynamic so I'm don't have to hard-code specific field names into the script. The script i have works just fine as is I just want to make one script that can handle all of my document previews.

So let's day I have an Invoices table and a Documents table with a field called "document".

The relationship looks like this: INVOICES -->>DOCUMENTS.

I create a Documents portal on my Invoices layout with a popover with the field "invoices_DOCUMENTS::document" in the popover and I give that field an object name of "invoices_DOCUMENT" The clicks the pop-over and then clicks the Preview button to open the document full size in their image/pdf viewer.

Screenshot 2016-03-21 09.20.52.png

I'm trying to get the script to go to the object (which it does) and get the active field name so I can extract the file extension (pdf, jpg, etc) but I get nothing from Get(ActiveFieldName) inside the portal.. outside.. no problem.. but inside I just get a "?" in the Data Viewer. I even tried to concatenate the field name by using a variable ($field = Get(ActiveLayoutObjectName) & "::Document") and use that but that didn't work either.

So my question is.. what might be the best way to grab the active field name from a portal popover

Thanks

Clay

Outcomes