9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2016 9:25 AM by beverly

web direct and value lists

tcwaters

Is there a way to get a list of checkboxes to display on WebDirect, like it does in FMP client? In webDirect, the carriage returns between value list items seems to be ignored.

• 1. Re: web direct and value lists
          mikebeargie

you can hack the CSS:

DevCon WebDirect Series 2 of 4: Printer-friendly CSS | MainSpring

I haven't found another easy way to do it. My blog post above has sample code for the CSS hack, note that it will affect all WebDirect files on your server.

• 2. Re: web direct and value lists
            tcwaters

THX!!!

• 3. Re: web direct and value lists
              beverly

Great article, Mike! too bad we have no control (no stylesheet over-ride) with Web Direct. I'm glad you cautioned to save all before attempting to make the changes!!

beverly

• 4. Re: web direct and value lists
                tcwaters

I'm on my way with this one.  Adding the custom CSS fixed my checkboxes must messed up my radio buttons on the same layout. I'm not very good with CSS, but I'm guessing the solution is some way to specify a class and apply the custom CSS to that class rather than all checkboxes/radio buttons.

• 5. Re: web direct and value lists
                  mikebeargie

yeah, although from what I've seen so far, the FM updates do not overwrite custom CSS changes.

• 6. Re: web direct and value lists
                    mikebeargie

I don't recall, I wrote that article two years ago now. I DO recall that finding CSS classes are a colossal pain in the butt though. You basically need to drill down through all the HTML in a browser until you get to the designated checkbox.

The method I began to use was to assign a checkbox value of "TESTCHECK", and searching the source code for that.

WebDirect uses both dynamic and parent classes. The dynamic ones are specific to every object on the layout and may change, so don't use them. The parent classes are like the one I used in my custom CSS, although it may unfortunately be that checkbox and radio sets share the same parent class.

• 7. Re: web direct and value lists
                      beverly

input[type=____]

HTML Input Types

radio and checkbox are different selectors in CSS

beverly

• 8. Re: web direct and value lists
                        tcwaters

This has to be something that drives many developers nuts, so let's hope we see something in a future version of Filemaker to address it.  Re: Mike's comment, "The parent classes are like the one I used in my custom CSS, although it may unfortunately be that checkbox and radio sets share the same parent class." Yes, I think this is the case.  I was able to app[ly your custom CSS successfully, but it affects both checkboxes and radio buttons. I'm looking at my layout to see if I can just  alter my layout to adapt accordingly.  THX to both you Mike and Beverly!

• 9. Re: web direct and value lists
                          beverly

Nice to see you again, TC (long time since CDML days)! will you let us know what you decide to do?

WD is so much of the layout "as is". I know with IWP, the same was mostly true. I remember doing some work-arounds with checkboxes (and radio) input on the layouts to make them work better in IWP. usually something like making EACH VALUE a separate "list" and duplicating the field on the layout, assigning one of these separate "value lists" to it. That way each "checkbox" or "radio" could be aligned independently. IWP seemed to redraw better. I wonder if WD needs the same method? The total values in the actual field were the same as if there were only one field, so that didn't matter. I always felt like separate "fields" was more like HTML input where there is one "name" to the set, but each checkbox or radio was a separate "input" line of code.

beverly