11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2016 11:36 PM by VietSeonca

Print current Record with Tabs

VietSeonca

Hi,

I'm having troubles with printing records with tab control. If you have any tips or suggestions, I'll be very grateful.

Details:

I have a file (solution) which uses tab control (as shown in photo). Now I need to create a print button, to show on FileMaker Go on iPhones and iPads, so mobile device users can print the current record they're browsing.

The problem is, when I click preview, it shows nothing on the Tabs, just the fields on the top Header.

I created another solution, this time it shows the fields on the first Tab, but only for the first record, the other records are messed up. I have about 400 records and first, it shows the "?" and then it shows more than 1,000 records on the printing preview, which it's totally wrong.

• Is my file corrupt? If it is, how can I fix it? If I cannot fix it, how can I transfer all the records to a new solution?
      • How can I create a print button on my layouts, that allows users to print the current record with all the fields on all tabs/slides?
      • Is there any way I could print the records with borders and lines? As it's shown in preview mode, there's no lines or borders.

Thank you so much for your time. FileMaker community has been always generous and helpful for me.

Have a nice day!

Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 09.56.50.png

Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 09.56.33.png

Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 09.58.16.png

• 1. Re: Print current Record with Tabs
          macwombat

Hi.  When you print a layout with a tab control or slide panel only the front most panel prints.  If you want information on other tabs you will need to create a new layout without tab controls that is a print layout.  Have you print button go to that layout and print the records from there.

Selecting and working with objects in tab panels

HTH.  Chris

• 2. Re: Print current Record with Tabs
            rgordon

Here are a couple of things to consider. Preview doesn't first show the current record.  It initially shows the first record in the found set.  In preview mode you don't toggle between records, you toggle between pages.  So depending upon your layout you could have more, less or the same number of pages per the number of records.  Questions mark in all fields usually indicate a corrupt record. 

• 3. Re: Print current Record with Tabs
              keywords

A few points:

1.     Adding to rgordon's post, the initial ? you see is that FM has not calculated the number of pages yet. Once you scroll through the pages it then calculates and comes up with 1716—that is probably 4 pages per record (429 records). As already pointed out, it is not records but pages which FM is showing there.

2.     If you want to preview a single record it is best to isolate that record first to save confusion as to what you are seeing.

3.     Tabs are really intended for screen display, not printing. You would be better advised to create a specific layout designed for printing, instead of trying to print the existing layout which you have really designed as a user interface. You can easily go to this layout in a printing script and then come back to your viewing layout at the end of the script.

4.     On that printing layout you can configure your fields with borders and lines if you wish.

• 4. Re: Print current Record with Tabs
                VietSeonca

Thank you Chris Cullen, rgordon and keywords

I'm creating a new Printing Layout. However, the borders of the fields aren't shown in Preview mode. I've tried to add borders to them, but it looks like it only works with the text boxes, not the actual value of the field boxes (as shown in photos).

Do you know any solutions for this problem? I'd love to have the borders like in the default solution Contacts by FileMaker.

Screen Shot 2016-03-24 at 10.20.26.png

Screen Shot 2016-03-24 at 10.20.18.png

• 5. Re: Print current Record with Tabs
                  keywords

You can set borders with the Line settings in the Graphic panel of the Appearance Inspector (see screenshot).

Screen Shot 2016-03-24 at 2.31.50 pm.png

Note, though, that you appear to be still trying to create a print layout with tab controls. That is not advisable.

• 6. Re: Print current Record with Tabs
                    VietSeonca

Thank you keywords,

I've tried what you suggested but still, there's no borders in preview mode for the field value box, only the field text box.

About the print layout:

I have to do so, because there are so many fields in each record. I don't know any other solution to put all those fields in the size of an A4 paper without splitting them into tabs/slides.

I could make a long layout to make it print the layout in several pages of paper, but that would cause a big problem for users to enter values, for they'll have to scroll down very often. When users reach the fields on the bottom of their computer screen, the tab order still works but the drop-down list of field control style doesn't, so, in order to use the drop-down list, they'll have to scroll down.

• 7. Re: Print current Record with Tabs
                      keywords

VietSeonca wrote:

I've tried what you suggested but still, there's no borders in preview mode for the field value box, only the field text box.

I have no idea what distinction you are making between a "field value box" and a "field text box". However, any object on your layout can be configured to suit your wishes in the Inspector.

VietSeonca wrote:

I could make a long layout to make it print the layout in several pages of paper, but that would cause a big problem for users to enter values, for they'll have to scroll down very often.

Here you still seem to be describing the needs of a user interface, and tab controls are very useful for this purpose. But as I have already said, you will not be able to use them for a printed report.

The whole point of a separate layout for a printed report is it is a layout used only for printing, not as a user interface. Your users need never visit such a layout for data entry or anything else. You can create a printing script which will navigate to it solely for the purpose of printing, and then navigate back to the interface layout once printing is complete. Users need not even know that this layout exists.

• 8. Re: Print current Record with Tabs
                        VietSeonca

Thank you so much,

I'm sorry I didn't explain it clearer. Here's what I meant about the borders:

I'd like to print my layout like the field Family Name in the photo below:

Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 08.48.11.png

I did it by dragging the border of the field Family Name label to cover the field (contains "Smith") itself. It actually shows like other fields Name and Phone Number.

In preview mode, it looks like this:

Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 08.48.26.png

There's no borders for "John" and "10234567".

I've used Inspector like these photos but none works:

Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 08.49.08.png

Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 08.49.30.png

• 9. Re: Print current Record with Tabs
                          rgordon

Go to the layout setup and uncheck Delineate fields on current record only. Then try the preview.

• 10. Re: Print current Record with Tabs
                            BruceRobertson
                            I'm having troubles with printing records with tab control. If you have any tips or suggestions, I'll be very grateful.

+1 for keywords comments.

The tip, the absolute requirement is:

Do NOT put tab controls on the print layout.

Print and data entry are two different things and you should be building two different layout.

• 11. Re: Print current Record with Tabs
                              VietSeonca

That did it!!! Thank you rgordon