3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2016 9:08 AM by disabled_morkus

Suggestions needed for portal searching

Trina

I would appreciate advice regarding portal searching.  I am providing a simplified example to facilitate discussion below.  I have built several related tables with primary and foreign keys.  I also have a primary data entry layout that contains portals.

For example, my database has a record for John, Mike, and Ed.  The portal contains colors of shirts.  John has red, blue, and orange, Mike has red, green, and blue, and Ed has blue, green, and yellow (no red).  I search in the portal for "red."  I get the records for John and Mike only, which is good.  However, within the records for John and Mike, I get all of the colors for John and Mike in the portal: red, blue, orange, etc.  I only want to see for John and Mike the portal results for "red."

Is this possible?  If so how?

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Please be as specific as possible.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Suggestions needed for portal searching
          erolst

Trina wrote:

However, within the records for John and Mike, I get all of the colors for John and Mike in the portal: red, blue, orange, etc.  I only want to see for John and Mike the portal results for "red."

It depends on the expected result. The “portal result” for red is “red” – or, more to the point, it is the found set of all the people that have that colour assigned, regardless of any additional colour assignments for each individual.

Why is it a problem with the portal displaying those other assignments? Maybe all you want is switch to a layout that is designed as a list and/or doesn't have that portal …?

• 2. Re: Suggestions needed for portal searching

You can enter the color right in the portal to search.

For example, using your data from the case above, if I enter "Red" in the portal itself after clicking Find, I get John and Mike only.

If you search in the portal table itself, it won't know about the relationship between the two tables.

---

You can also use SQL that would take advantage of the relationship, like this:

HTH

-- m

• 3. Re: Suggestions needed for portal searching

And, if you want the IDs too, just add them to the SQL: