8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2016 6:59 AM by Ben_B94

FM Server Password

Ben_B94

Hi all,

Are there any events that would cause FileMaker Server to reset its password to the Admin Console by itself?

I am convinced that it is somehow resetting itself. I changed it not that long ago I wrote it down!, wrote down the reset pin also and accessed it last week fine. I've tried the password I think it is, the previous password etc but it keeps saying incorrect.

I have only used 2 passwords it total for the admin console and neither work with and without capitals etc. I know there is a possibility I entered it wrong originally but I accessed it at the end of last week fine. This is the 2nd time this has happened to me which has caused me to reset the server so I could change the password(the first time I never wrote down the pin to change it via cmd prompt)

Also I can't get the reset pin to work, I may be entering the command wrong fmsadmin/-z/<mypin>/resetpw where / is a space. It keeps saying cannot find the file specified, is this just the message for incorrect pin or wrong command entered? Or can it actually not see the file. I can still open the console via ip in browser and can open solutions hosted on FMS in FMPro so the server hasn't stopped.

Just don't want to have to set up a load of schedules again.

Thanks,

Ben

• 1. Re: FM Server Password
          Mike_Mitchell

Ben_B94 wrote:

Are there any events that would cause FileMaker Server to reset its password to the Admin Console by itself?

No. I've never seen or heard of behavior like you're describing. I can see four possibilities:

1. You wrote it down wrong.
          2. Someone else who has the credentials went in and changed them and didn't tell you.
          3. You've been hacked and someone who shouldn't have credentials went in and changed them.
          4. Something is damaging your Server installation.

Assuming 1, 2, and 3 are not possible (?), I would think something has damaged the installation. Since it's happened twice in recent memory, I suspect there's something going on on the box that's causing it.

• Do you have all virus scanning turned off on the database directories?
          • Do you have other services running on the server? If so, what?
          • Do you have any indications in any logs (FMS or OS) that anything odd is going on?

Someone better versed in server administration may have other ideas. But I'd start there.

HTH

Mike

• 2. Re: FM Server Password
            wimdecorte

You have the resetpw command correct:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6989/related/1

The fact that it generates an error probably points to what Mike is saying: that something is corrupt in the deployment.  I've never seen FMS reset its own pw.

I would double-check what other processes are running on that machine, external backups, Anti-virus etc... anything that has the potential of changing files.

Next time you are able to get in: use the built-in feature to save the groups and schedules.  That way you can restore them quickly in situations like this.

• 3. Re: FM Server Password
              Ben_B94

Hi,

Anti-virus is on but I've an exclusion on the Filemaker Server folder in program files. Actually your comment has just made me realize, last night our backup failed to run, same thing a couple of weeks ago(when this happened before need to double check the dates) and it is today I cannot get onto the admin console. It may be something to do with that but I don't know how it would affect the password?

• 4. Re: FM Server Password
                Mike_Mitchell

If it damaged the Server installation, it could damage the authentication scheme. Don't fixate on the idea the password was "changed". Damage to the authentication process can prevent an otherwise valid password from going throug.

• 5. Re: FM Server Password
                  Mike_Mitchell

If it damaged the Server installation, it could damage the authentication scheme. Don't fixate on the idea the password was "changed". Damage to the authentication process can prevent an otherwise valid password from going throug.

• 6. Re: FM Server Password
                    wimdecorte

Ben_B94 wrote:

Hi,

Anti-virus is on but I've an exclusion on the Filemaker Server folder in program files. Actually your comment has just made me realize, last night our backup failed to run, same thing a couple of weeks ago(when this happened before need to double check the dates) and it is today I cannot get onto the admin console. It may be something to do with that but I don't know how it would affect the password?

The pw is stored in an encrypted XML file that is part of the whole config settings.  If that file got modified or deleted that would explain it.

Do you have a system-wide backup going?  Something you can go back and a file comparison?

• 7. Re: FM Server Password
                      Ben_B94

Ok thanks I never realised that could potentially happen. 

After your comment I checked the logs in the server folder and there was nothing out of the ordinary there. I need to look into the failure of the backup and see if it is the cause.

• 8. Re: FM Server Password
                        Ben_B94

Yea it is system wide