9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2016 11:28 AM by DickHoning

FileMaker Server 14.0.4 with older FileMaker Pro and Go clients

DickHoning

Hi there,

I updated my FileMaker Server to the latest version of OS X El Capitan an FileMaker Server 14.0.4 and since then I'm have a lot of problems with data integrity when working with older FileMaker Pro and Go clients.

Unless there is a quick fix, I really need to downgrade FileMaker Server to the previous version 14.0.2 where everything worked fine. This is not easy as SIP (OS X protection) in El Capitan i preventing this. There are ways to temporarily disable SIP but that's not really where I want to go.

Does anybody have a solution? Other that updating all FileMaker Pro and Go clients to there latest version.

Thanks in advance and best regards - Dick

• 1. Re: FileMaker Server 14.0.4 with older FileMaker Pro and Go clients
          Stephen Huston

Are you talking about using FMP 12/13 or using earlier revs of 14 as clients?

There are some known issues when opening 14-edited files with 12 or 13, but, if using earlier revs of 14, running the rev-updates is recommended because those updates actually fix things that needed fixing!

If your version of FMPro being used to edit the file structure and layouts is newer than some of the clients, there can be issues of older clients not recognizing all of the programming from the newer version. The Server itself probably isn't the problem; more likely the version of Pro being used is not consistent with older clients.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Server 14.0.4 with older FileMaker Pro and Go clients
            DickHoning

Hi Stephen,

the issues are not only with FMP 12 and 13 but even with 14 prior to v4.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Server 14.0.4 with older FileMaker Pro and Go clients
              DickHoning

Hi there,

I did some further testing and it looks like you need a minimum of FileMaker Pro or Go 14.0.4 in order to have your solutions work properly when hosted by FileMaker Server 14.0.4 on OS X.

I started with FileMaker Go 14.0.2.200 which I then upgraded to 14.0.3.313 and 14.0.4.406. Only with v4 the problems where gone. Also tested 14.0.5.505 which also works.

I only had Go 14.0.4 which works fine. Tests with 13.0.9 resulted in problems.

As far as I can tell now, the main problem is global fields not being set and as you may imagine this can seriously f... up the data in your solution!

One thing I've learned is that you really need a second/development server where you first have to test updates extensively ... really something the software vendors should do ...

• 4. Re: FileMaker Server 14.0.4 with older FileMaker Pro and Go clients
                wimdecorte

DickHoning wrote:

One thing I've learned is that you really need a second/development server where you first have to test updates extensively ... really something the software vendors should do ...

They do but they can not anticipate every single design and deployment out there.  And ultimately it is OUR solution so we need to do our due diligence and test carefully....

I haven't seen the behaviour that you are describing though, not with a varying mix of FM12/13/14 clients connecting to a 14 FMS.  Does it actually produce an error # or just silently fail?

• 5. Re: FileMaker Server 14.0.4 with older FileMaker Pro and Go clients
                  DickHoning

No error ... just not setting data. And for as far I can see only data that is set in some global fields ...

And I'm 100% sure it's related to FileMaker Server 14.0.4 on Mac OS X as I've got 3 of those servers running al producing the same problems ...

• 6. Re: FileMaker Server 14.0.4 with older FileMaker Pro and Go clients
                    BruceHerbach

Would you describe what is going on?

SIP should not have any affect on global fields or any other field in a database.   Ok so that stated,  you do remember that permanent changes to a Global field can only be set when the file is opened locally.  If it is opened on the server,  then any changes are only visible to the current user for the current session.  Close the file, and re-open it and the Global field has the last value set when it was opened locally.

I get around this by having a settings table that has a single record and a field for every global field that needs to set.  The on open script handles setting the global fields.  If things have to be updated,  I either do it manually or set up a method ( layout, script, both ) that lets the user update the value and update the settings table.

The big issue with versions of Go and FileMaker Server 14.0.4 is the SSL/encryption system.  If you have SSL enabled,  older versions of Go would not be able to access the server.  If encryption is off then the older versions should be able to access the server.

HTH

• 7. Re: FileMaker Server 14.0.4 with older FileMaker Pro and Go clients
                      DickHoning

SIP does not have any affect on global fields but SIP makes it hard to install FileMaker Server 14.0.2 which I wanted to do as the update to Server 14.0.4 was causing me huge problems. The only way to solve this is to upgrade all FileMaker Pro and Go clients to at least 14.0.4. I'm half way there ...

I know how globals work ;-) ... it's just that globals are not always set correctly by a script which is ran from a FileMaker Pro or Go client older that version 14.0.4 when the database is hosted by FileMaker Server 14.0.4 on Mac OS X.

So in short; FileMaker Server 14.0.4 (at least on OS X) does not properly support FileMaker Pro and Go clients older than version 14.0.4 !!!

• 8. Re: FileMaker Server 14.0.4 with older FileMaker Pro and Go clients
                        BruceHerbach

In general,  you can't install an update that is a version = to or older then the version installed.  Nothing to do with SIP.  It's built in to the installation.  If you want to got back to an older version of FMS,  you have to uninstall,  then install the original version and then finally the update you want.

As far as Globals being set by a script.  Assuming that client access is correct they should always set.  Can you post an example file showing this?

As far as compatibility goes,  look at this link: FileMaker Server 14.0.4b Software Patch required for OS X El Capitan version 10.11.4 | FileMaker

If I remember this correctly,  all of the issues with FMS 14.0.4 and earlier versions of Pro and Go have to do with SSL.  I believe that the issues results in not being able to connect to the server/databases.  Once connected (SSL off ) then scripts should work correctly.  If SSL is on then the client has to be the correct version.  So your solution in this case is to update the clients.  I know ... something much easier said then done....

HTH

• 9. Re: FileMaker Server 14.0.4 with older FileMaker Pro and Go clients
                          DickHoning

Trust me, SIP is in the way when you try do a fresh install of 14.0.2 on the latest version of El Capitan. And I did do a uninstall, restart and fresh install. I'm not using SSL so that is not causing the problem. Again FileMaker Server 14.0.4 (at least on OS X) does not properly support FileMaker Pro and Go clients older than version 14.0.4 !!!