4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2016 7:11 PM by MikeZarin

Read/write files on network share from Pro, Go, and desktop

MikeZarin

Hi all,

I have a client that would like to store docs on a network share drive in hand-managed folders and link to the docs from FileMaker records such that the docs will be accessible from FileMaker Pro clients and also from remote FileMaker Go clients.  He'd also like to be able to use FileMaker Pro and Go to add docs to those folders.  While I've pushed strongly for the client to adopt FileMaker-managed external containers he requires the ability to manage the folders and docs outside of FileMaker, too.  Would external storage still be an option in this case?

Any thoughts on how to approach this?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

• 2. Re: Read/write files on network share from Pro, Go, and desktop
          MikeZarin

Hi Tom,

I looked at SuperContainer and, while it's a great product and would solve many of my client's needs, I believe its folder architecture is pretty strict, requiring a separate folder for each file, which may be a deal-breaker.  My client and his employees are used to a particular folder structure and the idea that they'd have to not just drop files in but also create subfolders for each doc seems like too much to ask.

FMS 14 allows you to specify a separate folder for external containers but I can't get it to recognize a folder on the shared drive.  Although this might not give the best performance, it seems like it might be a nice solution if I could just get it to work.  FM tech support says it should work but I'm stumped-- apparently there's some sort of permissions issue and I'm not Windows savvy enough to figure it out myself.  I'll get in touch with my client's IT person but in the meantime, any other thoughts on approaches here?

Thanks,

Mike

• 3. Re: Read/write files on network share from Pro, Go, and desktop
            fitch

The FM tech you spoke with must not have understood your issue. You won't be able to use container fields that way -- the FileMaker server manages the files.

I think you should talk to 360works and also ask them about DocuBin.

If your users have network access to the files, then you can certainly just store the file path in a field and there are a few ways to then open the file such as the Open URL script step. But this won't help your remote users.

• 4. Re: Read/write files on network share from Pro, Go, and desktop
              MikeZarin

Thanks for the suggestion, DocuBin shows a lot of promise.  I know nothing about WebDAV but it sounds like it would address some important requirements of my client's.

Mike