First let me give you some background:
- I'm IT consultant that does general work such as PC repairs, virus removal, network setups, etc. I DO NOT do database development and have little or no experience with FMP or other database products other than supporting the clients and workstations that run the clients.
- One of my customers have a custom built application that uses FileMaker 11 and maybe two months back, on two workstations, one of the really important reports started being scrambled having random data from other places on the form print in places it didn't belong.
- The second machine that was having trouble just stopped having issues when I moved it to a different network connection, so I thought it must be a problem with that network connection. I moved the machine back to the old connection and all of a sudden the problem was gone, so I tried the same thing with our other workstation, yet it still is scrambling the reports.
- The developer has looked and swears that everything is okay with the product and insists that the problem lays with the computers or network, so I've done the following:
- Unloaded FMP on the workstation giving us trouble and reloaded it.
- Unloaded and reloaded FMS
- Moved the Filemaker Database to a completely clean workstation running Win7Pro with ONLY the OS and patches and use the SHARE function. This seemed to fix the problem at first, but it started giving the same type of trouble within a day.
- Checked network connectivity from the workstation by pinging large packets (1024 bytes) at the server for a couple of hours without a single drop.
- Did virus and malware scans of the affected computers
- Did temp file cleanup using CCLEANER
- Did CHKDSK /F on the workstation giving us trouble
I just don't know where to go next. My current plan is to replace the workstation that is giving the most trouble and see what happens. I could then start uninstalling Windows updates, but that is a dangerous game with all of the threats and malicious content on the web now a days.
- Has anyone else seen this type of problem and tracked it down to a cause?
- Are there any patches on Windows 7 that are known to cause issues with FMP11 or on Windows Server 2008 r2 that are known to cause problems with FMS11?
- Does anyone have some troubleshooting steps or diagnostics I can try to help track down this problem?
The forums here are a bit different than the ones I'm used to for other products. I couldn't find a place for my product or obsolete products, so I posted here. Hopefully that is correct. If not, please let me know.