6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2016 3:13 PM by codecruncher

Apple App Store FIAS app (iOS App SDK) has loading issues

codecruncher

Since my app launched I have received a few support inquiries of customers who get the "Unable to load <main file>" dialog:

Error

The file <name of fm solution> could not be opened. (Not Found)

OK

The app initially crashes and then it does not write a new copy from the bundle into the documents folder but rather looks to re-open the existing file that was never successfully written in the first place.  I don't know if this is due to iOS 9.3.

My only customization is the deletion of the red arrow of the 'slide to cancel graphic' resource to comply with Apple's guidelines. iCloud had to be disabled as well. The app also uses a custom file extension which I have changed back to fm12 on the upcoming release which will hopefully be given the green light by Apple as well. The app works fine when testing on a wide range of device and simulators, Apple tested it for weeks yet customers still experience loading issues.

• 1. Re: Apple App Store FIAS app (iOS App SDK) has loading issues
          codecruncher

...and the customers have tried everything from rebooting to relaunching. Even performing a hard reset/force quit of FIAS : holding the power button until the 'slide to power off' page appears and then pressing the home button for a few seconds until the iOS desktop re-appears without the FIAS app running. After executing a 'foce quit' FIAS should either re-write a copy from the bundle or check the consistency of an existing file but it does neither - the customer simply gets the same error dialog.

• 2. Re: Apple App Store FIAS app (iOS App SDK) has loading issues
            codecruncher

Just looking at the support inquiries of today it seems the issue not related to iOS 9.3. I have reports of user with the latest hardware (iPhone 6s) and iOS 9.2 who experience the same issue. Some users can launch it on their iPad but not on their iPhone or vice versa. The file is very mature FM file continuously developed over 6 years with thousands of users and zero bugs. There are no issues or complains in regards to the identical desktop version.

• 3. Re: Apple App Store FIAS app (iOS App SDK) has loading issues
              TSGal

codecruncher:

Thank you for your post.

Does the name of the FileMaker solution have any special characters?  Keep in mind that the solution is also case-sensitive, including the file extension.

Have you been able to replicate the issue on any device?  Have you compared your device to the client's device that does not run?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Apple App Store FIAS app (iOS App SDK) has loading issues
                codecruncher

The only unusual thing is that the FM file does not have the standard fmp12 extension which I have now changed in the update (which still needs to be approved by Apple). There is no difference between the name of the solution and the name that shows up in the error dialog. No special characters or spaces where used. The app has only one file. The slide to cancel red arrow graphic had to be deleted to comply with Apple GUI standards (it resembled their own 'slide to cancel'  GUI elements to much). It did not affect any of the launches tested by myself (and Apple) afterwards.

Not every user has launch issues but it is a very high percentage and growing daily. I have a faint shimmer of hope that after the initial crash FIAS is looking for cache data assuming that the file ends with fmp12. It's not very likely though since I have tested on a large selection of devices and forcibly crashed the app many times. Apple has also taken close to 3 weeks to test on every device including iPods. It is a universal app. The majority of users who experience this issue are iPad users but I also have reports from iPhone users with the latest hardware.

Please let me know if you want a link to the actual app. I would also love to provide you with a copy of the XCode project. I can email you screenshots of users who took pictures of the dialog. I have already done numerous tests with willing users and nothing worked. I have never experienced the issue. Neither did Apple - otherwise the app would not have been admitted to the store. I image the only reason why this never came up before is because very few FIAS apps have been admitted so far and most of them have a smaller user adoption.

• 5. Re: Apple App Store FIAS app (iOS App SDK) has loading issues
                  TSGal

codecruncher:

A copy of the Xcode project would allow our Testing department to look at the project closely.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Apple App Store FIAS app (iOS App SDK) has loading issues
                    codecruncher

Thanks TSGal - I have emailed everything.