1 2 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2016 2:48 AM by gdurniak

Filemaker File Size Explanation?

dsghs

So I have a solution built in Filemaker Pro 14. It is about 50MB once all records are deleted. I am trying to get the file size down for distribution purposes. So I have no records and the file is still 50MB.

I un-index all fields except primary keys and I delete all container fields. I "unstore" all calculation fields. This brings the file size to 48MB.

I start playing around with clones of the file. I delete one of my tables (call it the survey table) and the size goes down to 3.4MB. Bingo.

I start with a fresh copy of Original Solution.fmp12. The weird thing is, there are no records in the survey table. The weirder thing? I delete ALL fields in the survey table and the size goes down .1MB. Then I delete the table with NO fields in it and the size drops from 48MB to 3.4MB.

What is going on here?? Surely the 1 relationship this table has does not account for 45MB of file size??

• 1. Re: Filemaker File Size Explanation?
          gdurniak

It is possible the file contains leftover "orphan" objects, e.g. layout images

Try using Recover,  select "Copy file blocks as-is",  and see what the Log says. You may find a clue there,  e.g. a "Recovered Library" or "Recovered Blob"

Otherwise, try re-building the Survey Table

greg

> I delete the table with NO fields in it and the size drops from 48MB to 3.4MB.

• 2. Re: Filemaker File Size Explanation?
            BruceHerbach

Have tried saving as a Compacted copy?

• 3. Re: Filemaker File Size Explanation?
              dsghs

I deleted all but one simple layout and the size is still 48MB.

Haven't we all been told what a horrible thing it is to use a recovered file as a solution?? Anyway, I did a recovery and the file size is still 48MB.

Rebuilding manually? Fields in that table are referenced 100's of times in different scripts.

• 4. Re: Filemaker File Size Explanation?
                dsghs

Compacted copy results in a 36MB file size. I have no experience with compacted fpm12 files. Are they suppose to be stable enough to use as main solution files?

• 5. Re: Filemaker File Size Explanation?
                  gdurniak

Compacted files are okay to use

and Recover can be used, to remove orphan objects ( if required )

Not sure what else to try

I do have one Clone with only one Table that is 40 mb,  but that has 1000 fields ( mostly calculations ), and dozens of report layouts

greg

> Fields in that table are referenced 100's of times in different scripts. Compacted copy results in a 36MB file size

• 6. Re: Filemaker File Size Explanation?
                    RickWhitelaw

are you saying you have one table with 1000 fields or did I misread?

• 7. Re: Filemaker File Size Explanation?
                      gdurniak

By any chance,  did Recover add a Table to your file ?

greg

> I did a recovery and the file size is still 48MB.

• 8. Re: Filemaker File Size Explanation?
                        FileKraft

This sounds like a perfect case for FMVis. It is a commercial third party tool which returns File and Block Metrics as listed here in the attached example (and much more not listed):

Check out www.fmdiff.com ! !

Screen Shot 2016-03-28 at 11.55.22.png

• 9. Re: Filemaker File Size Explanation?
                          rgordon

Can you give a little more detail on how this would help the poster get rid of the over 40 mbs that appears to be hidden in the file? Deleting the table in question appear to correct the problem but that doesn't appear to be a viable option.

• 10. Re: Filemaker File Size Explanation?
                            gdurniak

Uli,

Thanks for the commercial endorsement,  but ...

If the "Block Metrics" show e.g. 48mb,  does that really help ? 

Can you then identify ( or remove ) the objects ?  e.g.  a Table vs an orphan image in a Library ?

greg

> FMVis. It is a commercial third party tool which returns File and Block Metrics

• 11. Re: Filemaker File Size Explanation?
                              FileKraft

prune out tables,  fields, layouts - empirically track changes - inspect with FMVis - use FMDiff to track the difference or take notes maybe you find something ..

• 12. Re: Filemaker File Size Explanation?
                                jgesswein

A little bit more information on the table shown by FMVis. Section “File Metrics” shows information about the size of objects defined in a FileMaker database.

The four fields shown are the “gross” size of all objects (e.g. "layouts”), percentage of gross size with respect to whole file, “net” size of data, and percentage of net data with respect to gross data. For instead the layouts occupy 4.6 MiB in the file which is about 6% of the total file size. About 200 KiB are used by FileMaker to encode the layout information which introduces about 3.6% “overhead”.

All entries in the table from “Main” until and including “Vendor” are base tables. So one can see that base table “Main” for instance used a total of 6.3 MiB of space in that database. The entry “Tables” is just the information for the table catalog maintained by FileMaker.

Section “Block Metrics” shows information about block usage of the file. (Blocks are also called “pages”.) In the example FileMaker uses 11107 blocks for data and 51 blocks for a table of contents indicating where a given element may be found. The blocks are filled 89% and the overhead for block management data is 0.8%.

• 13. Re: Filemaker File Size Explanation?
                                  jgesswein

Section “Block Metrics” is probably not helpful in the original question. But hopefully the “huge” table is shown properly in section “File Metrics”. If an empty table shows up with for instance 40 MB, this should be a hint that something was not deleted. At the moment FMVis shows only a table’s combined size (i.e it does not show size of data and indices separately), but if an empty table has 40 MB, it is probably not too hard to guess that this is index information.

• 14. Re: Filemaker File Size Explanation?
                                    FileKraft

Greg - the title of this thread says "File Size Explanation"

1 2 Previous Next