AnsweredAssumed Answered

Find Records on Multiple Critieria (marked as question this time...:)

Question asked by happyez on Mar 28, 2016
Latest reply on Mar 30, 2016 by happyez

(I had this previously, but I forgot to mark as a question, so I reposted it. Hopefully that's not a problem! if it is, I'll learn. New at these things)

Hello everyone

Here is a bit of a doozy, but one that might be simple enough if you use dynamic filtering within portals and/or filtering within the relationship graph.

My situation is similar to a travel agent - best analogy:

People want to know which airlines to pick from, that show:

• current location (NY) to

• destination (London)

• wanting an aisle or window seat

• will accept specific airlines (Whoopsie Airlines or Antartica Express)

• at a couple specific times (6am, 4:30pm, 11pm)

Every option must taken into account together, and not one variable can be left out.

This means that the db/server of the travel agent is doing, I guess in one way, loops of every combination to get a good set.

Then they will sort via best price or preferred airline, and show the list (sort decreased) on the website.

I hope that gives you the picture.

Mine is similar. I am finding sponsors for events. If I could name it as a heirarchy, it is that I must match, as a basis:

i) the client's sector (if they are a mental health non-profit, then their sector is 'Health' and 'Non-Profit or Associations') and

ii) the sponsor's sector (they are after banks and telecomms, then the sectors they are after are 'Financial' and 'Telecom')

Just on this, I need 4 find queries (Health + Financial; Health + Telecom; NFP + Financial; NFP + Telecom)

This will then look through my 100,000 records for matches. I have both in portals (separate tables), and I want to find any sponsor that is a Financial sponsor and a Telecomms sponsor, and see which ones sponsored events that were NFP and were to do with Health. OK, that's simple enough.

But I also need to know:

iii) which cities the events happened in (the client may be wanting to have the sponsors from the above found set to also have sponsored events in NY, LA and SF (more cities in my case than that))

iv) if the types of events were consumer events (eg festivals) or professional/trade conferences

v) and whether they want to go after lifestyle brands

so we must get a set of results that are i + ii + iii + iv + v, and this could be up to 1800 results easily or more.

One way is to loop this like an odometer (01 02 03 ... 09 10 11) and get all combinations based on every combination being tested on a loop, but that takes 40 minutes to do.

The other way may be filtering results, so the 100,000 record that must be poured through are first reduced to 20,000, then less and less, so in the end, it only takes, what, a few minutes to do.

v), for example, is just one value within one field. If this is ticked, include this sponsor in with the set.

I dont know how to filter the portals so it shows only certain results, what you are creaming off and what you are left with.

So I was wondering what others think could be a solution.

The reason I gave the travel agency is that, someone has done a FM script for them or even real estate agents (we want apartments and houses, but not land; we want in X Y and Z suburbs; there must be 2 bathrooms; 1 or 2 garages; and it must be renovated).

So, they have probably done the hard work, or if they havent, someone comes up with it, and FM developers can enter the market of scripting for new markets!

Anyway, I would love to know what people think. I am a newbie, but I also have someone I can share your ideas with, and he will be able to suggest something. Then we all share in the fruits....

Or if it has been answered in the forums, someone could share the link (I couldnt find anything, incase anyone says "took me 5 seconds to find it!!)).

Thanks everyone

Eric

Outcomes