AnsweredAssumed Answered

Specify delimiter for importing text files?

Question asked by disabled_morkus on Mar 29, 2016
Latest reply on Apr 24, 2018 by rouelf

Perhaps I've missed it, but I don't see a simple way to specify the delimiter I want to use for importing fields from text files.

Since some text file fields could actually contain TABS or commas, I sometimes get files that are pipe-delimited.

So, in FileMaker, is my only way to deal with these non-tab and non-comma delimited files is that I need to import the whole mess into a table and then parse it there, copy the fields to the right places, remove the original imported file, etc?  I can always write code to pre-process the import file too, if required, but I'd rather not do that...(that's why I spent $500 on FMPA).

Hopefully, I just didn't readily find FileMaker's import functionality?

-----

It's interesting that in Navicat, for example, (another multi-hundred dollar tool), you have many more apparent options for importing, including a more generic "text file" import. A text file import includes multiple settable field separators, as well as a custom one you could specify. Additionally, I find both the Record Delimiter, but also the Text Qualifier to be useful.

Thanks,

- m

Outcomes