AnsweredAssumed Answered

Can a Calculation in a Parent Table Pull Info from Child Records??

Question asked by RPeters on Mar 30, 2016
Latest reply on Mar 31, 2016 by RPeters

Hi Everyone,

I work for a non-profit music festival, and I’m having some difficulty with a calculation.  I’m keeping track of donations by individuals.  Each individual has a "Status" which is a case calculation showing a different calculation result based on when they last donated.  I’m looking for a group of individuals who have donated money this year.  They would be considered a "2016 Season Sponsor".

This is the relationship I have to keep track of incoming money: Patrons--->Income

If someone has donated money this year, I'd like their status field to read "Current Season Sponsor".  I have a larger case because there's many different statuses a person could have, but here's the little tidbit of the case that isn't working:

Income::Sponsor Reason = "2016 Season Sponsor";

"Current Season Sponsor";

This only works if the first entry in the Income list for a particular person is their 2016 Season Sponsor donation.  But we keep track of all the money coming in.  Some people bought concert tickets, or went to a fundraiser, and then made their season donation.  If this is the case, then their status doesn't read as it should.  It seems that Filemaker checks the first child record only, rather than seeing if any of the child records reads "2016 Season Sponsor".

I hope this makes sense.  I know why it's not working, I just don't know how to fix it.  Ultimately, I guess what I'm wanting the calculation to do is search through all the Patron's child records in "Income" to see if there's any entries that read "2016 Season Sponsor".  If there is, then the Status field should read "Current Season Sponsor".  I know what I want, I just don't know if it's possible, especially for a beginner like myself!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

-Rachael

Outcomes