3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2016 10:57 PM by CarstenLevin

When are the Filemaker server or filemaker Web Direct can save record as PDF in the script compability?

azez

During this time, there are many reporting task need to be save in PDF, almost our users used webdirect in their activities.

When are the Filemaker server or filemaker Web Direct can save record as PDF in the script compability?

• 1. Re: When are the Filemaker server or filemaker Web Direct can save record as PDF in the script compability?
          CarstenLevin

Hi Azez,

I am not 100% sure what you are asking.

Is the question: "When will FileMaker include the creating PDF's with server scripts and from WebDirect?"

or is it: "How can I create and make a PDF available within WebDirect?"

To the first question: This is long overdue!

It is one of the major road blocs for deployment of FileMaker in new organisations via WebDirect/Cloud strategy. And you have to ask FileMaker about this and tell them what it mean to you, not being able to create printable PDF's from WebDirect.

To the second question: It is absolutely possible, but you need a little workaround to achieve it.

You need to set up a robot = FileMaker Pro. You can probably let it run on your server.

This robot should have a script running at intervals (install timer script step) or activated by "Perform Script On Server" from your WebDirect UI. This script should reestablish your context (right layout, correct found set, sort order etc.) and then create the PDF and then put this PDF in a container field available to your WebDirect user.

By using the Perform Script On Server script step, with the "wait for completion" option set, you will have the task done while the user is waiting a short while and then your next scriptstep could be "Export Field Content" from the container field or whatever you find appropriate.

You could also go one step further and do one of the following:

• Let the robot send an email to the user with the PDF.
          • Let the robot save the email in a folder available via web and then give the user an URL in his WebDirect UI or via email. If you give the URL in WebDirect you can probably use the "Open URL" script step to display the printable PDF.
          • If the user is within your office premises you can even let the robot print directly to the correct printer ....

With FileMaker there is always a way

I hope this is a help for you.

Best regards

Carsten

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: When are the Filemaker server or filemaker Web Direct can save record as PDF in the script compability?
            azez

Hi Levin,

Yes you already got what i mean in the your 1s answer, and i need also the suggestion in your 2nd answer.

Thanks for your help.