6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2016 11:00 PM by c_tschida

Has anyone developed a system for (timber) joineries?

c_tschida

HI all,

Been way from this forum for a long time and have a potential project for a timber joinery. It would likely become fairly complex as it would require admin, sales, production management, inventory, exchanging data of BIM components from a Bricsys CAD setup and a few other things.

Before I start on this project myself, I am looking for someone who may have done something similar already or has done something similar in another manufacturing industry niche. There is a reasonable chance that I would outsource the entire project to someone with relevant experience, rather than attempt to do it myself.

Thanks in advance for any pointers or leads to the right people.

Chris

• 1. Re: Has anyone developed a system for (timber) joineries?
          schamblee

FM Starting Point - Free FileMaker Template by RCC   is not create for one industry but it is a good starting point for most any project.

• 2. Re: Has anyone developed a system for (timber) joineries?
            Vaughan

c_tschida wrote:

It would likely become fairly complex as it would require admin, sales, production management, inventory, exchanging data of BIM components from a Bricsys CAD setup and a few other things.

Start off with one thing, get that working, then add more to it.

Get the business to decide where they want to do their accounts: in MYOB or the new database.

• 3. Re: Has anyone developed a system for (timber) joineries?
              c_tschida

I should have made it a bit clearer perhaps, the basic accounting is outsourced to an accountancy firm that use Xero for their clients. That part is likely to stay as it is. The company doesn't have a large volume of small invoices, but rather a small volume of high value invoices. This new system would initially be aimed at developing an alternative to some of the (very) expensive and specific manufacturing software packages around that address specific joinery sales/quote/production management issues. Typical window manufacturing software can range from $20-60K to setup and then of course the annual maintenance or subscription costs. The company is quite specific about not being keen to become very dependant on subscription software...

• 4. Re: Has anyone developed a system for (timber) joineries?
                Vaughan

c_tschida wrote:

This new system would initially be aimed at developing an alternative to some of the (very) expensive and specific manufacturing software packages around that address specific joinery sales/quote/production management issues. Typical window manufacturing software can range from $20-60K to setup and then of course the annual maintenance or subscription costs. The company is quite specific about not being keen to become very dependant on subscription software...

They may discover why the software packages are so expensive: developing something similar may take years.

The advantage in buying off-the-shelf is that they will get everything working, now. Developing a new system means they will have to wait while parts are completed, which will take weeks/months/years.

• 5. Re: Has anyone developed a system for (timber) joineries?
                  miler24

Our "Kosmas" solution, built in FileMaker, has many of the aspects you mentioned and is designed for the construction/manufacturing industries.  My background is in the window, storefront and curtainwall industry and we showcase at the WDA/NGA exhibition as well.  There are significant complexities to some of the aspects you mentioned and would need to be customized to meet your needs.  Although most of our clients use our solution on a subscription basis without customization, others choose to modify it heavily and choose a single upfront price with a site license.

I can say from experience that a solution such has this can take many thousands of hours to develop.

Please feel free to visit us at http://www.docuwrx.com

Best,

Eric Miller

CEO

• 6. Re: Has anyone developed a system for (timber) joineries?
                    c_tschida

Thanks Eric, and all other contributors to this thread so far. I will get in touch with you directly about your Kosmas solution with more specific questions.

Cheers

Chris