9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2016 10:02 AM by TSPigeon

Standby server communication issues

alan.kirtlink

I am having communication issues between my primary and standby servers.

Both machines have the following config:

FileMaker Server 14.0.4.412

Windows Server 2012

12 GB of RAM

SSL with a custom cert

Firewall disabled

I am able to run "fmsadmin standby connect" from the primary server, connect to the standby and receive my connection code.  I enter the code on the standby and it is accepted.  When I go back to the primary, hit enter and receive the "Initiating standby connection..." message the primary stops responding.

Going to the standby server and running "fmsadmin standby status" returns "Error: 10502 (Host Unreachable)".

If I close the command prompt on the primary and restart the FileMaker Server service and run "fmsadmin standby status" on either machine everything reports correctly and I see that updates are being sent.

If I try to perform a switchover to the standby server from the primary it hangs again.

After restarting the FileMaker services on both machines it appears as if the switchover was successful and the former secondary now reports as my primary.

Switching back results in another hang, but after restarting services again my original primary is the primary again.

Running the "fmsadmin standby disconnect" command from the primary server results in a freeze and when checking standby status from the standby server I get "Error: 10502 (Host Unreachable)".  After restarting the FileMaker service on both machines they appear to have disconnected properly.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Alan

• 1. Re: Standby server communication issues
          TSPigeon

Alan:

Thank you for your post.

I am not seeing any previous reports of Standby Server Commands running properly, but "hanging" afterwards. Some things you might check:

-You are using a Custom SSL Certificate.

-I would verify it's a Supported Certificate.

-I would also update to FileMaker Server 14b (14.0.4.414) as SSL and security changes have been made.

-What flavor of the OS are we running? (Windows Server 2012 Standard /R2 Standard, etc.)

-If these machines have Wi-Fi capabilities you could try AD-HOC for testing, since we are getting an Error 10502 (Host Unreachable)

I look forward to your reply.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Standby server communication issues
            wimdecorte

alan.kirtlink wrote:

I am having communication issues between my primary and standby servers.

Both machines have the following config:

FileMaker Server 14.0.4.412

Windows Server 2012

Windows Server 2012 R2?

Both machines are at the exact same patch level for Windows patches?

Can you try without the SSL enabled?

• 3. Re: Standby server communication issues
              alan.kirtlink

TSPigeon,

• The SSL certs are supported.  They are from Symantec and I get the green lock icon when I open the sample file.
              • Both machines are running Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard.
              • You mention patch 14.0.4b  Isn't that for Mac only?  I only see 14.0.4a available for Windows on the Downloads page.
              • I've had some trouble applying the 14.0.4a patch.  When I try to launch it nothing happens.  I've had similar issues on both machines when running the regular FileMaker Server 14 installer.  When I unzip the .exe the installer doesn't auto launch.  When I double click on Setup in the top level folder of the installer nothing happens.  I have to open the "Files" folder from the unzipped archive and run the Setup file in there.  When I try that same thing with the 14.0.4a patch it tells me it can't be launched from there and that I must run the Setup file from the top level folder.
              • 4. Re: Standby server communication issues
                TSPigeon

Alan:

Awesome! The Certificate and Operating Systems shouldn't be the problem. May still take wimdecorte's advice on trying without SSL.

I apologize. You are correct the the 14.0.4a patch is where you would want to go on the Windows Operating System. Can you try running the updater from the root of the C:/ from a Local Admin account (not a domain user)?

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Standby server communication issues
                  alan.kirtlink

Wim,

The two machines are both running Windows Server 2012 Standard R2, but they are not at the exact same patch level.  It's a bit hard to see exactly what the differences are.  They are pretty close.

I tried turning off SSL and setting up the standby connection, but I got the same result.

Thanks,

Alan

• 6. Re: Standby server communication issues
                    alan.kirtlink

TSPigeon,

I tried again this afternoon to get the 14.0.4a patch applied.  Still no luck.  It quits out immediately after you try to launch and the entries in the Windows error log don't seem to shed much light on things.  I was able to manually from the Files folder that within the extracted installer, but could not get the other installer file to run.  Is there anywhere I could look to see an error message that is written to a log when you try to run this installer?

Thanks,

Alan

• 7. Re: Standby server communication issues
                      TSPigeon

Alan:

You might try running the following command. Usually it is used for the installer, but I don't see a reason it shouldn't work for an updater. Try running Command Prompt as an Administrator (right-click command prompt). The command should be similar to: C:\Folderpath\setup.exe /v“/Lr C:\FMS14InstallLog.txt”

Perhaps between the log and running via command line we'll get a little further with the issue.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Standby server communication issues
                        alan.kirtlink

TSPigeon,

I tried the command you suggested above, but no log file was produced when I ran it.

I think we are at the point where we need to open a ticket with FileMaker support and see if we can get someone to sit in on a WebEx and help us troubleshoot the issue.  Is the best way to do that to call in to the support number or is there a way to start a ticket from here and attach this thread?

Thanks,

Alan

• 9. Re: Standby server communication issues
                          TSPigeon

Alan:

Sending you a private message.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.