8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2016 7:50 AM by tays01s

Cumulative %

tays01s

I have a % field. I want to have another field showing the cumulative %, effectively recalculating the average of the % field with each added record. Seems an easy ask but I haven't fallen over how to do it yet!

• 1. Re: Cumulative %
          bigtom

Take a look at this example file. You can manage this using the Average() function and also using a Summary field. Remember percents are still just numbers. Weighted averages are available for Summary fields.

The PercentAvg layout show the use in a portal with related records and the ListView layout shows using a list with sub summaries for the different parent records in this case.

• 2. Re: Cumulative %
            tays01s

bigtom,

Thanks. I was thinking more of having a cumulative field so that you can see the effect of each new record % on the cumulative %.

BTW, I could only login as Guest, so I couldn't dissect the calcs/field types.

• 3. Re: Cumulative %
              erolst

I think you want a summary field “Total (running)" and calculate the respective % from that value:

value / totalValueRunning * 100

• 4. Re: Cumulative %
                tays01s

The running total gives the total of those records up to that point, not a cumulative total for each new record. I need to ponder this; it should be easy!

• 5. Re: Cumulative %
                  erolst

tays01s wrote:

The running total gives the total of those records up to that point, not a cumulative total for each new record

Please explain the difference.

• 6. Re: Cumulative %
                    alquimby

I'm not sure if you are looking for average percentages or cumulative percentages, but the attached shows both. The cumulative numbers are obtained by a relationship of your ID field > ID field. The adjusted number 1 takes the sum of the previous number 1's based on the relationship and adds the current number 1. Same for adjusted number 2. The cumulative percentage is adjusted number 1 / adjusted number 2. The summary fields in the header are just averages of the 2 percent fields.

Al Quimby

• 7. Re: Cumulative %
                      bigtom

The guest account should have full access.

• 8. Re: Cumulative %
                        tays01s

Allen, that solves the initial problem. But the 'Cumulative 2' TO in my solution will also have to limit records to those of the parent table to Cumulative. I'd thought having a Parent::ID = Cumulative::_parentFK or Cumulative::_parentFK = Cumulative 2::_parentFK as a 2nd criteria would correctly limit records, but neither does the trick.