Yousaf Shah

Christopher Manton

Discussion created by Yousaf Shah on Mar 30, 2016
Latest reply on Apr 25, 2016 by GaryPalmer

With a heavy heart I wanted to share the news of the passing of Christopher Manton of Babelfix in the UK who died at home on Tuesday after battling cancer for some months. Chris is survived by his loving wife Maria and by a group of close friends who loved him dearly. I am sure that you will join me in expressing every sympathy for their loss.

On a work level, Chris was a very sincere, hard-working and talented developer who worked both in the US and in the UK during his FileMaker career. He was a long time FileMaker evangelist, a former US Devcon speaker, regular contributor to the UK FBA and Technet meetings and FBA Platinum Partner. Those of you who knew Chris will know of his passion for UI, design and for the plight of the humble user that solutions are built for. He had an empathy for the user which allowed him to see complex problems through their eyes and an expertise which allowed him to deliver solutions that packed an enormous power into a very simple interface, something we all aspire to. Indeed for most developers, myself included, one look at a 'Manton' solution was enough to have one in a mixed state of awe, admiration as well as pitiful embarrassment at how feeble their own attempts at building a business system were.

On a personal level, Chris was one of life's true gentlemen. Supremely honest, passionate about a variety of subjects and superb company on any occasion. He had an extraordinary way with words which you could not help but be charmed by and a humorous warmth which placed you instantly at ease. He had a generosity and built in drive to 'do the right thing' in any given situation and he always knew what the right thing to do was - he humbled us all.

Despite this he was also a very modest and private man, indeed he kept news of his illness to all but a few and I appreciate that for many this will come as a bit of a shock. In accordance with his wishes there will be a very simple family funeral and at a suitable time in the future, a memorial of some kind to celebrate his life and achievements.

Sad as I am today I am proud to have had Chris as a good friend and will miss him tremendously, more than I can say at this time. I have many fond memories of Chris as I am sure a great many of you will also so feel free to share them here. I will make sure Maria his wife sees these messages. I enclose a picture of Chris for you to remember him by.

Yousaf

Chris 3.jpg

Outcomes