9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2016 9:02 AM by djk

Windows resizing problem (Windows 10 etc)

djk

I have the following problem:

In Windows, I always maximize the windows of my solution.

But when I open a new window, the old one is not longer maximized ! It somehow shrinks.

This wouldn't be so bad (and I know it's primarily a problem of the Windows OS), but...

... is there any way to maximize the old window (after closing the new one) by script or script trigger?

PS: I can do it manually, but would prefer to find another possibility.

• 1. Re: Windows resizing problem (Windows 10 etc)
          JesseH

Dieter,

There is a script function to maximize window. There are a number of ways to utilize this feature. the simplest way is to create a "Close Window" script which closes current window and then maximizes current window.

Jesse

EDIT: the script function is "Adjust Window [Maximize]"

• 2. Re: Windows resizing problem (Windows 10 etc)
            Mike_Mitchell

The window goes back to "restored" dimensions if there's more than one window in the FileMaker application window. You can avoid the issue by setting the window to the maximum size without using the Maximize command. Here's a script I use:

script.png

Note that you'll probably have to tweak the adjusted size based on your particular installation (window size, OS, toolbars on / off).

HTH

Mike

• 3. Re: Windows resizing problem (Windows 10 etc)
              djk

Hi Jesse!

Thanks for the fast answer

But I guess, I've to be a little bit more precise...

I normally work with one window (which is maximized). Then change the layouts when needed.

But there is one exception - when I want to print something and go to the page view mode.

Then I open a new window with a print-layout in page view mode. This window is always only around a third of the width of the original window. And stays above the old window.

The problem is, that in the moment I open the new window, the old window is resized (is not longer maximized) and when closing the new window, it stays shrinked. I only manually can resize the window

• 4. Re: Windows resizing problem (Windows 10 etc)
                djk

Hi Mike!

Thanks for the fast answer

I will try and let you know, whether it has worked...

• 5. Re: Windows resizing problem (Windows 10 etc)
                  djk

Hi Mike!

I tried - and you are right. If not using the "maximize" command, then the (old) window is not resized.

Unfortunately, I then get this super ugly, thick blue Window-Frame, which completely destroys my design.

I can accept that for the time the new window (with the page view-mode) is on top of the screen, but want to bring back the old window (maximized, without the thick blue Window-Frame) to it's original design.

So, unfortunately, this is not the best solution (for me)

Any other idea?

I tried to work with Script-Triggers, but couldn't find a solution

• 6. Re: Windows resizing problem (Windows 10 etc)
                    JesseH

Dieter,

Set a script trigger on your "print-layout" for when layout exit. the Script only needs to read

Adjust Window [Maximize]

• 7. Re: Windows resizing problem (Windows 10 etc)
                      Mike_Mitchell

Yes. This. Or use OnWindowClose and make it conditional based on the name of the window being closed.

• 8. Re: Windows resizing problem (Windows 10 etc)
                        djk

Hi Jesse!

Thanks for the answer

I already had the same idea. Unfortunately, the script trigger is not working, when I close the window.

I used the script-debugger to follow the program. The script trigger on Exit Layout is not triggered.

Hmmm... may be if I use a Button for exit the window in the "print-layout" (blocking the normal windows-close etc. buttons)...

Ok, I try and let you know

• 9. Re: Windows resizing problem (Windows 10 etc)
                          djk

Hi Mike!

Hi Jesse!

I found the problem

The script-trigger works fine - the only problem was, that by default, triggering is disabled in "page-view" mode !!!

(and my "print-layout" is in page view mode hehe...)

Enabling this, the script trigger worked, run the script and I got back my original, maximized window

Thank's to you both !